Shipping advice needed! Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 12, 2006.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Has anyone ever shipped a bass to Australia? I could me mistaken, but USPS Global seems to limit package length to 44" and I'm figuring my P Bass at about 54" boxed. I'm checking UPS but jesus, it's 156 pages of kangaroo poo. Anybody been there, done that?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't done it myself, but I can think of one TB'er who has. I'll send him a PM and get him to chime in.

It might be worth trying to do a search. I remember seeing a thread about this, but it was a long time ago. Hopefully it hasn't dropped off the board.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK

I have done it three or four times. The best way to ship a bass to Australia is in two seaprate packages. One for the body and one for the neck (assuming its not a neck through). The total cost of shipping it this way is usually about $100US and, for Australian customs purposes, the value of the packages are, as far as I know, assessed separately which can work out cheaper on this end.

Things not to do:

1. Declare false values
    2. Not get insurance

I know some people have shipped in basses in one package but you need to do FedEx or UPS to do that. Also, forget the case, the cost of shipping the case is more than the cost of a new case in Australia.
  4. The surefire way to way to solve all shipping problems. Sell locally and make it local pickup only.

but this may not fit your problem.
  5. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Thank you all- Two packages, I never would have considered that. I've unbolted this neck before to fit it in the overhead bin flying to Europe with no problems. This is just the kind of insight I thought I might find here.
    BTW, what carrier do you favor? Do I split the declared value 50/50? And insurance value(s)?