1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Ampeg SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slpbass81, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    There is an older Ampeg SVT for sale in another state a buddy of mine lives in. The listed price is super cheap because the guy wants to sell it and lives in a small town with no buyers. Has anyone ever shipped an SVT-CL? If so, how much did it cost and was there any damage when the other person received it?

2. When they ship new they are suspended in Styrofoam in a double box. Shipping cost is based on weight, size of the box, and distance. Could cost a grip.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had a 74 SVT shipped to me. Very well packed - power tubes removed and bubble wrapped then stuffed inside the chassis with more bubble wrap inside, amp was triple wrapped in bubble wrap then encased in styrofoam, then double boxed. It arrived (after fedex "lost" it, they reassigned the tracking number so no one knew where it had gone for days) with the outer box torn in a few places, inner box slightly ripped in one corner, and the poor tiny delivery driver dragging it down my driveway. The amp itself was in pretty good condition, but definitely had some issues. Unlikely that they were from shipping though. Needed a cap job and some general maintenance. I'd expect at least $100 for shipping. It cost me $80ish to ship my V4 in an ATA road case which was ~75lbs, an SVT is about 85lbs.

4. kd5uwl

kd5uwl

Jun 7, 2012
    When I sold my 2011 Heritage SVT, shipping from Oklahoma to Arizona was about $100 via UPS, iirc. FedEx told me it was too heavy for them to ship to a residential address, so I used UPS.

I wrapped it in cling wrap, then double bubble wrapped it, then put it in two "dish barrel" boxes telescoped together. I taped that all up with strapping tape.

Then I put that in a larger box which the telescoped dish barrel boxes fit into with what I considered optimal room for peanuts to spare. Filled it with peanuts so it had peanuts all around, on all sides. Then I taped that all up securely.

I packed it very securely and was proud of it. Boxes and packing material probably cost me $50 or more. I shipped it off and never heard another word .. which means it must have arrived in pristine condition.

Mastermold likes this.
  5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Shipping prices can really vary. When I have an option, I often use Fedex. Most courriers also offer a freight service. This means that it ships in a truck, not a plane. The rates are better. But look at all options, the faster option cost more but you can get deals.

One of the most affordable options that I've used is Greyhound bus freight service. They have a variety of shipping options and it worked out fine for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I agree with most of the others packing advice, but I think that adding strong, easy to grab handles to your box is a very important final step that most seem to skip. Otherwise, your amps gonna get dropped and slammed around a lot more than necessary.

When I shipped a SVT-CL, I made grab handles using that flat 'mule tape' rope. I ran this rope lengthwise around the middle of the boxes bottom and sides, then secured it down flat with shipping tape. Then I connected the ends on top with a square knot, and taped most of the top rope down flat, with the exception of 2 six inch sections left untapped near each end of the boxes top. Those untapped sections became the grab-handles and had a little extra length of rope so they protruded up just a little bit, so they could easily/quickly be grasped and used as super strong handles.

8. I have only one thing to add: ROAD TRIP!!! :D

jastacey likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just a thought - have your buddy check it out, and if it works, buy it. The next time one of you visit, drive it over. A couple of beers is way cheaper than shipping it, and safer.

10. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    Haha I was considering a road trip but since my buddy is there I can just have it shipped. Guy is selling an Ampeg Skunkworks for $800 so it will be about $900 after shipping. Anytime I buy an older used SVT I factor in $300-500 in repairs/tube replacement so overall not a horrible deal.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yep. When I bought my Mesa 400+ I did an 11 hour round trip to get it. When I sold it, I actually was taking a trip anyway and dropped it off for the buyer...11 hours round trip. To me it was worth doing it not to have to worry about shipping damage.

waltdogg and beans-on-toast like this.
  12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I'd take a road trip over the stress and hassle of shipping an amp in a heartbeat.

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    It also meant I could SEE it and hear it before buying. The gas & tolls were less than 100$, it was economical except for my time, which isn't worth that much...and I enjoy a nice drive.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I like to do a smell test on any amp that I buy.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I have to lick each tube.

High Camp, coreyfyfe and waltdogg like this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That seems like a killer price on a Skunkworks, no?

17. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Proper way is to pull and mark tubes & separately bubble wrap.
    To prevent water damage, enclose amp in plastic bag sealed tight.
    Wrap the amp top, bottom sides in 3" structural styrofoam panels.
    1 4X8' panel should be plenty.
    Wrap that with cardboard best you can and tape the hell out of it,
    Put all that in a second box and be damn sure to mark THIS SIDE UP.

UPS packaging store will also wrap, but the 3" styrofoam is really the only true safe way.

If you can't be home when it arrives, consider having it shipped to where you work, shipping department
    or arrange pickup at local UPS facility if its close enough.

Have UPS supervisors, flag the shipment delicate electronics.

18. kd5uwl

kd5uwl

Jun 7, 2012
    Oh yeah .. road trip definitely wins over anything else. I once had an antenna delivered to me that was about 9 feet long. Well it was supposed to be delivered .. it never showed. When I called, the shipper told me I should check my porch again, I might have missed it.

Yeah .. I could easily miss a 9 foot long box on my front porch ..

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Skunkworks heads are nice.

20. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I once shipped a Traynor in a road case across the country by UPS and cost was about $100. The case was over protected and traveled well.

Double case is a must as well as vinyl corners; they are more resistant than Styrofoam which tends to disintegrate under the weight of an SVT. Bubble wrap and chips can be problematic, chips because they move under the weight and bubble wrap because the weight of the amp can make them burst. I would recommend to really think the packing through and take your time.