1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping an 810 SVT cabinet across the country?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindwell, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    So, I was just quoted $440-something to ship my '75 SVT 810 via truck freight to my brother in Seattle. That seems, well, high and undoable. Anybody have any tips about shipping one for less $$ than that?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  3. Rebopmass

Rebopmass Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Try greyhound they are decent priced although not sure if it's too big

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on how imaginative you want to be, and how soon you need it there. I had a friend who had to send a guitar, and knew someone who was going to college in the same city. He gave the guitar to that person, who brought it. As SVT is a different kettle of fish, but do you know anyone who is going out there on business or otherwise?

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Shop around, prices can really vary. I've used greyhound for smaller items and the price was one of the lowest. You have to deliver it to the terminal and have it picked up at the destination.

Sometimes you can get a corporate rate just by mentioning a company that you are affiliated with. A local Ampeg dealer might be able to provide you with a used shipping box but you can make your own.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gee whiz, shipping my entire Heritage SVT rig from Seattle to Orlando through Ceva Freight cost a little over $100 last year. Maybe Ampeg gets a deal due to volume, though.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That $100 seems to be the magic number for Loud to ship. I pay $8 for overnight parts when I deal with a big company and get their rates. If I pay the shipping on my account, that $8 can turn into up to 10X the cost for the same service. I hate it when I buy $40 worth of stuff and the delivered cost is more than double. Shipping costs are killer.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

This^^

If Greyhound will accept it, they often have some of the better deals on shipping.

You take it to your local bus depot. It will ride under the bus with the luggage, and the reciever will pick it up at their local bus depot, or hire a local courier to take it from the bus station to their door.

It may get transferred between a couple different busses along the way, but it'll actually have a pretty safe/smooth ride and won't get knocked around/beat up nearly as much as it would going through something like a UPS or FedEx sorting facility and getting loaded on and off a whole bunch of different planes, trains, trucks, loading docks, etc.

It's really a good way to ship stuff.

9. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    If you take it to greyhound and they accept it, before you do that be sure to get a piece of plywood and cut it so it will fit inside the speaker grill so you will have your speakers protected just in case something happens....

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Another option is Forward Air. They aren't as cheap as Greyhound, but they handle palletized motorcycles, for example, so an SVT wouldn't be an issue. It goes terminal to terminal, so you have to think about whether you need home pickup and home delivery. It's called Forward Air, but it uses semi trucks. I don't know where the name came from.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

This is a really good idea. Doesn't have to be a really thick sheet as the cab won't see a forklift, but enough to keep a foot, hard suitcase corner, somebodys bowling ball bag, etc. from going through it/hitting speaker cones.

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I gotta say that I would be seriously uncomfortable shipping a 1975 8x10 across the nation on a Greyhound bus with luggage being added and removed at every place it stops. It feels like the potential for disaster would be extraordinary. Not to add that I would be stunned if Greyhound accepted something that large.

It feels to me that Jimmy's Ceva Freight is the best idea that came up.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Road Trip!

14. I just shipped a bass from California to Florida and it cost $92 UPS surface.
    Seems like carriers have almost doubled their prices in the last year or so.
    I guess just suck it up and welcome to the new economy.
    Corporations are squeezing every last penny out of the masses.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It won't get anywhere near as rough handling as it will through FedEx or UPS, and no forklifts, and no loading docks to get dropped off of.

16. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    You have a very fair point but I would think a dedicated freight shipper would be a better call than the three options you mention.

17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The carriers' prices have gone up 5% every year for at least the last ten. Right around Christmas, surprise.

18. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    I opened a Fedex account, and have a credit card attached, that they automatically debit.
    I am on the left coast , and ship basses to the other coast for 55-65 bucks.
    If you prefer UPS they might have a similar account holder reduction. But not to sway from the original question. According to the Greyhound site, their weight limit is 100lbs I believe.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    UPS won't accept it, it weights too much. When I ordered my Ampeg 8x10 brand new a few years ago it was delivered to my house via a private semi-truck shipper. It was still in original box, strapped to a wooden pallet. UPS and Fedex wouldn't even touch it from Musicians Friend or American Musical Supply.....

20. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have shipped three or four flatback 810's via UPS for about $140.00 (I was restoring them for a while).

It is confusing since UPS's allowance is determined by weight and size combined - so they don't tell you what weighs too much until you also input the dimensions (they call this total the "dimensional weight").

I remember one of the 810's was light enough as is - but a couple of them I had to remove a speaker or two and ship them separately to meet the dimensional weight requirements.

I used 1/2 inch Styrofoam and good cardboard for packing - with no damage issues.

The problem is - your tilt back cab may be a bit heavier and taller.

You can go to the UPS website and input the estimated dimensions and weight and keep subtracting about 7 pounds to see if it qualifies. It may be worth it to remove a couple speakers and ship them separately.

and yes, prices have gone up lately. Trucks do run on diesel fuel.