Shipping an SX to canada (N.S.) How much?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 26, 2003.

1. How much is shipping for an sx, to canada???...I need to know, I tried to get an estimate from the UPS site, but I think I screwed it up. HAHA

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I just shipped a bass last week UPS to Canada, was under $40
  3. Cool, Thanks, not as bad as I thought it would be:)
  4. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    But it costs the Canadian guy over $150 bucks to recieve a bass valued;) at $400US.:crying:
  5. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    we pay a federal and provincial tax on anything that comes over the brokerage fees plus duty.$400 US=$600CAN.(approx.)we pay 15%tax on that 6 bills=$90+brokers+duty=around $150(can be more depending on shipping)
  6. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Any way to figure out how much the broker's and duty charges are??

EDIT: the taxes you're talking about(the 15%)are those GST and PST or are they special import taxes on top of GST and PST?
  7. Oh :bawl:
    well, this sucks...
    I thought I could get a nice cheap bass to mod (check my dream bass thread in the basses forum), but I guess not!...Doh.

So, if I was to get a bass off Ebay, do I get the same crap???
  8. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    GST and PST.
    Smash is right shipping is not the problem.I could ship a bass halfway across the continent for $30.
  9. ok...HMMM...just wondering, Is there any canadian online music stores???
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Considering you'd be buying the bass from the dealer, why don't you ask them? They'd probably give you the best answer.

Maybe TalkBass should expand into retail...;)
  11. you never know how much they will charge for something to go across the boarder. they just charge what they want, could be 30 bucks, could be 300. you never know.
  12. For 600 Canadian you can pick up a Warwick Rockbass. I've never played an SX but I doubt it's better than a Rockbass. The ones I played were all very good.
  13. I happened to be cleaning up my desk and found the receipts from a Brice 6'er a couple months ago.

The bass: 239.95 US
    Shipping: 45 US

Then, payment to UPS:
    GST: 25.67 CDN
    PST: 29.34 CDN
    Brokerage: 48.40 CDN
    Brok GST: 3.39 CDN
    Total: 106.80 CDN. Had to pay that to the delivery dude.

This was to Mississauga (in the GTA) from Rondo in NJ. Worth it? Hell yes, I can't get anything similar in this area.

Edit: Yeah, brokerage fees seem random. The broker fee for this adds up to ~15%. My bro got a guitar around that same time (from Virginia), and the brokerage fee on his is about 11%. Bastards.
  14. Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    I recently bought an SWR 2004 from some guy in California I believe, anyway, I was rather worried about the border charges, what with me paying 400 CAD for it, excluding shipping. To make a long story short, it cost me nothing to get that baby over the border.