Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping bass cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Jul 12, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Would anyone know the cheapest way to ship 4X10 bass cabinets? I'm having trouble selling them locally & was thinking of putting them on ebay. I have been reluctant to do this because of the shipping expense. Anyone with success stories of this? Thanks!

2. Forward Air will ship about anything you can tie to a pallet.

Link to Forward Air

They do a lot of Harley-Davidson shipping, as well as entire front clips for cars.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I've sent cabinets(410, 810 and 210) via Fedex Ground before with no problems.

4. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    do you happen to remember how much it cost to send the 4X10 via FedEx Ground???

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I know UPS ground will ship a 4x10 cross country for 40-50 dollars, but I haven't actually shipped one.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I want to say it was $42. It was almost a year ago.

7. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    ok and one more thing .... you packed the cab yourself and went directly to a FedEx or UPS shipping location?

Thanks again in advance

8. I just got back from Fed Ex a few hours ago. $39 shipping a 75lb box roughly the size of a large 2X10 from Louisiana to the Michigan area. I packed it myself (I assume they charge for this kind of thing).

Mike

9. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    You can make life easier, althoughit will be a bit more costly,by going to the UPS Store if there's one around you; probably is.

I had to ship my Heavy (90 lbs.) Mesa Buster tube combo all the way from Cali to Louisiana- cost me $112.OO fully insured-
    But they did a great job-
    First, he triple wrapped it in heavy bubble-wrap, then filled the heavy-duty cardboard shipping box with good packing material- tons of "peanuts" and packing strips.

I sweated out it's arrival. but it did come, with no problems, and even the carton was pretty intact, considering the number of times it must have been transferred, put on a conveyor belt, etc.

I could have knocked about $25 off by doing the packing myself, but they had the heavy-weight boxes, etc.

Give them a shot.