Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping Bass from EU to US cause moving

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by julo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Hi,

i'll be moving to the US in a couple of month, and i like to know from your experience what is the best way to send my 2 basses + guitar to the US from France.
    just to inform you that i will ship probably by boat other stuff.

so what is the cheapest safest quickest solution?
    boat, plane...

what should i care of when i ship them: in their hardshell cases another kind of box????

thanks a lot
    Julo

2. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    hi
    I've been looking into this as well, cos I'm moving from HK to australia soon, and I've got three basses that need to get there safely as well.

The best option I've found is from UK and US-based company Scott Dixon. They make a triple bass flight case that's apparetnyl very light and very strong. You can check it out here:
    http://www.scottdixoninc.com/Triple Bass Coffin Trolley .htm
    Their stock models are for either 3 electric basses or 2 acoustic basses, but they can do special orders as well, so they should be able to help. Not cheap, but worth it for the babies to get home safely, right?

Coffin Cases supposedly make a similar one, but I can't find any info on it. The pic in the ad I saw didn't look as sturdy as the SD one though.

There are a couple of other options as well - some shipping companies will build crates for delicate items as well, or you could find a local carpenter and get him to build you a trunk to ship them all in their cases.

Let me know if you find any better options
    Cheers
    G

3. that's pretty hot... :D and the case ain't bad either... ;) LOL! That would be one mighty heavy box, and I think personally I'd probably pack some towels or something between the basses just for giggles... but that's just me. This looks like a great product. Judging by the shape of my SKB cases after only a few trips.. I bet the lifetime would only be a few trans Atlantic flights.

4. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    does look heavy, dunnit? Apparently they're only around 10-15kgs though, so it ain't too bad. Gotta be better than a full plywood flight trunk!

5. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    thanks, but i was more thinking about the best company to ship delacate stuff : UPS, FEDEX,... others i don't know

J

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, you could probably use Fedex or UPS, but remember to insure the hell out of it...always just in case.