Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping bass to UK? Help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 11, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    What is involved with shipping a bass from the USA to the UK?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

More of a Miscellaneous topic. Moved.

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Very easy. UPS online. Prepay, print shipping label. Done deal. I did it a couple of weeks ago.

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Are there any duty taxes or fees other than the shipping cost I pay to UPS?

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The guy in the UK that prepaid the shipping for me to ship the bass to told me that he had to pay a 24% duty.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you do a search, there have been several threads about this with examples - it does vary - but generally it seems you have to add on about 30%.

If it's opened by customs, you might have to pay a lot more.

7. I looked into this just last week - it was for shipping an amp - essentially customs said that you pay 2% on the cost of the item - plus VAT (17.5%) on the over all cost of the item plus the shipping, it's not too band when you look at the dollar pound exchange rate. Call them up and they'll give you item ID code - they then run this through their system and will be able to tell you what you can expect to pay.

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Are you having to have it converted for UK voltage?

9. That's a bloody good point - I will have to yes - but until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about it - thanks very much! It'll be sometime early next year if I do actually get it - I'm going for some Epifani stuff - when I get the cash together...

10. It's very simple (than goodness). Use a major carrier like Fedex or UPS. When the bass gets to customs here they will add the tax (VAT + 5%). The carrier then settles the bill for you and either collects a cheque from you on delivery (UPS) or sends an invoice later (Fedex). I've had 2 instruments shipped from the US, one UPS, one Fedex and haven't had a problem at all. Important to make sure the instrument is wrapped well. One more thing, make sure that the sender writes the value of the bass (excluding shipping) accurately, then the tax is calculated correctly. Both Fedex and UPS charge a £10 fee for sorting the tax out.

Good luck !!

Basses Rule !!