1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping basses internationally

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I couldn't think which forum this would go under so if it needs moved be my guest.

I've got a bass for sale in the TB classifieds and someone wants to buy it in Finland. I want to sell it to him and he wants it REALLY BAD but I tried to get a quote from UPS and FedEx and they wanted over $500 to ship it. That seems like a lot of money just to send a 15 lb. package overseas. I tried TNT but they usually only do commercial shipping. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get this bass to him?

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    USPS has length restrictions that vary by country, you might get lucky with some of the slower methods. There have been recent changes to the fees, not as reasonable as it used to be but should beat UPS or FedEx. Wade through the website if you dare...Other than that if it's a bolt on consider disassembly and packing it in a gig bag and box.
    I've got a neck coming from Italy and it's $100 to ship!

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, it's crazy. I've gotten 3 different quotes from UPS to send various basses, and it always ends up being $600 from my location. It's almost embarrassing to tell the person interested that it would cost that much 'cause then they think you're trying to rip them off.

You can ship USPS from somewhere around $120-$150 if you pack the box closely to the size of the case. HOWEVER, there is absolutely no tracking method offered, and they will only insure up to $600 (or $650, 'can’t remember).

It's a true pain... I hate shipping stuff overseas... actually, I hate shipping stuff period.

4. A very well respected American luthier is about to send me a bass, and he's using the freight company Bax Global - which he claims has much lower shipping rates than, for example, UPS.

5. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    USPS Priority International's size restrictions are almost the same in every country; 108" length and girth combined not to exceed 60" in length. I know first hand as I have shipped at least 10 basses and guitars overseas in the last few months.

6. If it is a bolt-on, the best way is to detach the neck and the body and ship this way. The shipping cost will dramatically decrease. I received 2 basses shipped internationally this way without any problem. And I even abdicated (correct word?) from the hardshell case that I have won at ebay. Because it was way cheaper to have it shipped detached in a small box and later buy a case locally.

7. When I ordered my bass from the Groove Shoppe NYC to Italy, I think the shipping cost around $340, with 3-day DHL delivery.

8. Franklin229

Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Bax Global is good but I believe you need to ship from a commercial address only. USPS is not good becuase of insurance limits if above $600 or so.
    I have heard EMS is great for shipping to Asia. Still looking for options for Europe. It's expensive.

9. I had my LeCompte shipped over from Bud for $140 USD using USPS including full insurance coverage. Not sure if businesses get cheaper rates, but that doesn't (didn't) seem to bad?
    :confused:

10. Franklin229

Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    There must be a difference between commercial and private address re insurance coverage. Unless I am reading things wrong, insurance coverage will not exceed ~$600.00.

11. Yep, its due to high oil prices man.