shipping basses with UPS. too dang expensive. anyone else had this problem??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I just shipped a Jazz bass through UPS. They packed it and I had it insured for $600. I shipped from Columbus, GA to Champaign, IL and it was $74. Isnt that too expensive??

Anyone use FedEx, and know if their prices are any better?

Im gonna hate making trades if I have to fork out that much dough.
  2. I'd say Fed Ex is at least 25% less expensive.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Irecently had a bass delivered by Fedex. They did a good job. Bassnw charged me $30 but I guess they have discount because of their volume. It can't hurt to ask. :bassist:
  4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    "They Packed it"

I go to UPS ground service spots, with packages already packed. I can get it to florida for about 20, to Cali about 45. Fed ex might be a tad less, but it ain't the shipping that is killing you.
  5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If you do the packaging it saves big also. I NEVER use UPS unless absolutely necessary. FedEx is cheaper and better on all counts. I ship basses all over the country for no more than $30 Fedex.
  6. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah, next time pack it yourself. I bet half of the cost was from them packing it. It usually costs me $25-30 to go anywhere in the US if it is ground.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is that bass coming to my house...?
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have never had a problem shipping UPS. If you go to a "UPS Store" it will cost a bunch. If you pack it yourself and go to the UPS desk in your town, it doesn't. I have never paid more than $30. Generally, I pay $20 - $25.

Everything I ship or receive has been fine. No, I don't work for UPS.
  9. I've found UPS and FedEx to be about the same in all ways. You got murdered on the packing. I made the same mistake once. The packing cost more than the shipping. :meh:
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Where do you guys find boxes the right size?
  11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I usually find boxes at music stores, which is great because they have the bigger sizes and boxes for basses etc.

As far as rates. Fedex Ground is definitely cheaper than UPS. Especially if you can ship to a work address instead of a residence.
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Music stores will most of the time gladly give you them if you go and ask.

13. Go to your local Guitar Center and ask them to show you where their dumpster is :bassist:

They're usually pretty helpful in that regard.
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Stores around here have seperate recycling bins which makes it even easier.
  15. Once you have the destination address, just get a quote from the UPS and FedEx website and compare.
  16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That's really odd that you guys are getting charged a lot for having UPS package things for you. I've sent many items from my local "UPS Store" recently, and the packaging (usually for a bass sized box and packing material) has never cleared $4.00 (USD). I would have assumed that they would have standardized pricing, but apparently not.
  17. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yep - the packing part kills ya. My local girl gives me a discount wherever possible when she has to pack stuff for me (like amps and stuff I dont have appropriate boxes for) but it's still high.

When I pack it myself and take it to the store, it's about $35-40 for an average bass shipment - if I use and have them pick it up at my office (which I do when I have the exact dims and weight), it's more like $25-30.

Buzzard basses though are so long when boxed that they're "OS2", thus, about 50% more expensive at the least. Most basses are OS1.
  18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i have never heard of anything remotely near that number. They charge 4 bucks for a small moving box alone, let alone one fully packed. At least round here.

Hold onto that one, it is a gem.
  19. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    How would one pack a bass? Wrap it in bubble wrap then put it in a box with peanuts or something?
  20. You oughta live out here in Hawaii (and especially on an outer island) and have stuff sent UPS. My last bass cost me just a shade over 100. I try to use FedEx ground, but get ready to wait 4-5 days. I've found if you're buying something via catalog or inet, watch/read the shipping policys closely. Many discount merchandise companys depend on their freight markup. UPS or FedEx will give them a discount or contract price. The company will, in turn, crank up the freight to makeup the difference in what they DON'T charge for the m-dise. Gotcha comin or goin.