Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mindflow, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    of your experience who is the best or cheapest for shipping a bass?

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Everyone has their horror stories/favorites but I've always had good luck with FedEx ground for domestic (US) shipments. Very reasonable and I've never had a problem.

Tom

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I really recommend the USPS. They get the job done without doing a clog-dancing job on the box enroute.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    My vote is for USPS. They are the most consistent. I have also found the international shipping service to be quite reliable. Another thing I like about USPS is that when I receive a bass they will just call me or leave a note in my mailbox saying that I have a package waiting for me at the post office, I can then go pick it up whenever I want. No trying be home when the UPS guy shows up and no $1000 packages sitting on my porch for hours/days.

Their prices are reasonable as well. California > Indiana in two days for $30. I also have done Indiana > the Netherlands in 4 days for $90.

Maybe you should make this a poll. UPS, USPS, Fed-Ex, others?

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm getting my first shipped bass to me with USPS from Atlanta (to Montreal). I think after the border, they leave it to Canada Post (or whatever it's called). The shipping was 40$ including full insurance coverage on the bass. I'll be the judge of them once I receive it.

6. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    perfect because im shipping to montreal

7. UPS is horrible for shipping basses. I ordered a bass from Musicians Friend and it came UPS, and had a big chip in the paint so I sent it back. They sent me a replacement via UPS with a smaller chip... I used FedEx once to buy an acoustic bass from Ebay and it arrived safely. I always have them shipped to my office so I or someone else will always be around when they show up with it. If I did it again, and I didnt have that luxury, I'd probably use USPS for the reason mentioned above, that they will leave a notice for you to come pick it up at the post office instead of leaving it sitting at your doorstep for someone to steal.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I prefer FedEx Ground.

Whoever you choose...pack it like you assume the carrier could care less.... Pad it, pad it, pad it, pad it... no loose parts, etc.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

So I got my bass yesterday. I didn't even have to pay and duties or taxes or anything. I guess with USPS the receiver doesn't have to.