1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping boxes for basses?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bubba Love, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hi,

I am about to mount an effort to sell a US Fender Precision. As this is not a bass of insignificant value I want to package it right.

I'm going to ship it in a hardcase, but what do I put the hardcase in? A bass I recieved a while ago came in a cardboard box that fit the hardcase well. Apart from guitar shops, where do I go for these? Where does everyone else get theirs from?

2. I go to a local music store where I've done business for 20years. They give me a box and packing peanuts and let me do it there...for free.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    www.uline.com have great boxes for sale, but they only sell them in bundles of 5. The dimensions you want are 50 x 20 x 8, or 50 x 19 x 7 minimum.

I would try browsing your local yellow pages and looki for a shipping and packing place that sells supplies.

EDIT: never mind, just realized you are in the UK.

4. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I'd hit the local music store, I'm sure they would have a box they could give you.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I usually stash a box in the attic, but if I ever need one I'll just got to the local guitar shop and grab one of their used ones. Other boxes I have gotten in the past are from my local Honda car dealership...the long/wide skinny boxes trim mouldings come in work great.

6. I would also tape or otherwise secure some wood blocks to the case to protect the feet and the handle.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have been working over a music store for over 7 years and they won't give me a box!!! bastards!!!

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Always save the one it comes in. If you buy it from a local store ask for the box it came in. You can't have enough boxes.

9. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    my local shop's happy to give boxes to me... theyre just gonna toss em anyways

10. Exactly^^^

11. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've gotten mine from Uline also. If a local music shop can't work out some arrangement with you, then I'm sure there's a company like Uline over there. You'd just have to search for them.