Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping boxes & Mike Lull's shop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vanselus, Sep 27, 2004.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Where do you all get boxes to ship basses in?

I called Mike Lull's shop the other day to see if they would SELL me a box to ship a bass in, and the conversation went like this:

Guy: "Mike Lull's Guitar Works"

Me: "Hi. Would you have any cardboard boxes to ship basses in that I could possibly purchase from you?"

Guy (already exasperated): "We don't have any cardboard boxes"

Me: "Really? That's surprising. What do you ship your basses in?"

Guy: [long long pause] "umm..." [pause] "We just go scrounge them up"

Me: "really."

Guy: "Yep, just go to Guitar Center and ask them for a box"

So I did. And the guy there said "they don't do that". Dead end. Any ideas before I just buy a package of bass boxes from a cardboard place?

2. I just call my local guitar shops until I find someone who has one. I've never paid for a single one. I have even gotten boxes to pack cabinets in before. Also, when I get something, the box goes up in my attic for the next time I need one.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Go behind a drug store or mall and look for the cardboard recycling dumpster. Grab some big boxes and cut and tape to fit as needed. This is how I have received and sent gear in the past.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Believe me, I have access to plenty of cardboard. I'm part of a shoe company called Bite Footwear (www.biteshoes.com) and there's an entire warehouse of cardboard. I just get really tired of patching boxes together, and it sure doesn't look pretty when it's done. That's what i've done in the past.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I get 'em from GC. You have to get there early.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Just find a box store. The "guitar box" that the UPS Store sells for $20 can be purchased from a box store for about $4. The exact same box.

My advice is to go into a UPS store, find someone who looks friendly, make sure their manager isn't around, and ask them where they buy their boxes locally.

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I go to a ton of music stores, and eventually someone has one...sometimes it takes a couple of days though. also, bike shops (and other stores that sell bikes) get boxes in often. Although these are usually a little too big (not as big as you might think) and cost a bit more to ship, but they are sturdy.

hey - i like those shoes/sandals. i was looking at some the other week.

marshall

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Buy something nice from Bass Central and have them ship it to you. Then recycle whatever they sent you. That's what I did!

9. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    you could also call high volume manufacturers. i know that my nomad came in a full size bass box from fernandes that had the fernandes logo on it. you would have to call u.s. companies that dont import ALL there basses.

fender
    g&l (tb member?)
    carvin (tb member?)
    stew_mac
    warmoth
    etc.

at least they could direct you towards a companty that supplies boxes to them.

does your current box company (shoes, etc. ) have a guitar option? it could just be a rectangular box, with cardboard spacers.

10. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I somehow got a ULINE catalog in the mail. They have guitar boxes (actually big enough for a bass case) for $6 for a 4 pack or something like that...

I hate going to Guitar Center to find boxes. Its like finding a needle in a haystack...

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey, thanks for all the help everyone! It's much appreciated!

About the Footwear, if anybody from Talkbass wants anything, i'll give you a good discount. Just let me know. The Ramble-on are the perfect bass-player shoes. F. Carnivore has a pair too. They're slip-on, comfortable, and have much padding for long gigs.

www.biteshoes.com/orthosport/styles/4006a.htm

Back to the boxes, that's a great idea, i'll contact our box supplier. I saw ULINE on the web, and i'll probably go that route if ours doesn't come through. Looks like a fair deal.

Thanks again!

12. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    any vegan shoes?

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Many of our sandals are made of a great synthetic called "Durahide" and some shoes are as well. The Xtension running sandal in vegan, which has been worn in over 80 26.2 mile marathons so far - 2:53 is the current record. None of the Orthosport shoes are vegan yet, but there will be some available in the spring.

14. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    For the local boys: Helmers Music by the SeaTac mall has always been very cool about that kind of stuff. I've seen one of the managers (Tim) go dumpster diving for a customer.

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I find all of mine from Cardboard Recycling bins. Once every other month I do it and collect them for this very reason. Funny story, the clerk at the store I do all my scaveging at said they don't keep the boxes they throw them away. Later that night I go back and score 4 perfect boxes from the recycling bin. People are lame and won't help a brother out anymore. Uline does carry them. Why buy when you can recycle.