1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping costs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassBot5000, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BassBot5000

BassBot5000 Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I've seen many threads on shipping where people are able to ship a bass guitar cross country for between $40-$60 via FedEx or UPS..... I keep getting quotes for $100! Is there an option I should or should not be selecting? I'm declaring the full value (around 2000) and shipping to a residence, weight is about 16 with the case and everything. Any thoughts?

2. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends, but it's most likely the "lane", which is logistics-speak for the distance/location combo that the freight companies charge. Charges can vary DRASTICALLY depending on the starting and ending location

In my example, NYC and STL to Alaska cost the same, despite the distance. CHI to NYC (800 mi) is cheaper than STL to CHI (300 mi)

Example:$2000 bass, 16#, 40x20x8 packaged bass, insured, dropoff, residental, fedex ground service.

St. Louis to LA - $69
    St. Louis to CHI - $44
    St. Louis to NYC - $53
    St. Louis to Fairbanks - $172

CHI to NYC - $35
    LA to NYC - $76
    NYC to Fairbanks - $174

So, not really out of line.

3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You need to consider the other costs for shipping as well. There is the cost of the box and packing material and the time and gas money to pack it and take it to the shipper to be shipped. My last bass purchase from somewhere in NY to Fort Woth, Texas was $50.00. I saw the postage on the box at about $37.?? a few cents, so the other $12.00 + would just barely cover the box and packing material.

4. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Also, carriers can be really different. My example has a 52% spread between highest and lowest for the same service.

Same example. STL->NYC

Fedex: $53, in three days
    USPS: $44, in two days
    UPS: $67 in three days