Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping costs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Feb 18, 2006.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum but I have a question about shipping. I'm shipping my Warwick from Seattle to Ontario and I was hoping you guys could give me what you think it'd cost to ship it? Also do you have any ideas on how to package it?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Go to Fedex.com or UPS.com. They both have shipping calculators based on package size, weight and shipping location.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The best bet is if you had the original box. Next bet after that is to visit a music store and ask them if they have a box they would part with. Final answer is to hit a UHaul and get a box there.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Yeah, you want to run to GC, Sam Ash, etc. and grab 2 boxes. One of them should be triangular, kind of form fitting. The other the big rectangle. Ibanez boxes work especially well. Make sure to detune your bass when shipping because the string tension can cause the neck to bow, warp or snap when traveling across different altitudes, temperatures, etc. You can use the styrofoam packing peanuts, but if you can score some where you get the boxes, it's best to use the air pillows that come in Ibanez boxes. AND, if you can get a small amount of bubble wrap to put at the bottom of the rectangle box, the triangle box should fit in there nicely and be super shock absorbent.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

ditto www.usps.com

6. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah I did the UPS/Fedex shipping calculator thing to see how much it'd cost. But on there it says its about 50-60 dollars but when I went to fedex today they said it'd be about 200 so I'm real confused on which is more accurate.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I wouldn't send an empty cardboard box by Fedex. They totally messed up a bass i shipped last year. As mentioned in this thread get a box first, pack the bass, and then when you have the box dimensions and weight of the package, get a quote from UPS and USPS (with tracing option...don't send parcel post because if it gets lost then your bass is toast)

8. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    What exactly is Parcel Post? But I'm going out to GC today to get some strings so I'll ask if they have any boxes I can have.