Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H3rEye51nRoam, Feb 16, 2004.

1. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Hey guys. I have been looking for a bass for quite a while and found on steal on here and so I bought a Schecter Diamond Series Stiletto Eltie 4 in honeyburst for about $371.13 after shipping. From what I was told it was an excellent deal by a guy at Guitar Center. I have one little problem though. Supposedly during shipping it was cracked between the neck and the fretboard. The chipping goes to the fret or so while I don't know how far the crack goes, I do know though that it goes at least halfway down the first fret I believe. The chipping on one side is real bad and pieces of the finish has actually come off. What would you guys suggest doing? I talked to Guitar Center twice already. The first time I was told it could cost about $100-$150 and not to worry about it if it doesn't get bigger. I went back today though to pick up my new amp and get a written estimate yet couldn't get that since the repairman was not in. So Thursday I plan to go get a written estimate. I plan to file a claim, as suggested by the seller, and have UPS pay for the damages. First though I need a written estimate. Does this seem like a good idea? Or should I just get a full refund on the bass from the customer? What I was actually thinking about doing is having it fixed and trading it in for the Schecter Diamond Series Stiletto Custom 4 in natural satin since it is a lot lighter. What would you suggest doing? I can get pics of the damage and all yet they are not very clear at all due to the quality of my digital camera. Well thanks again. I just would like to get this all fixed asap and that and am curious as to what some of you would do in this situation. Thanks.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well if it wasn't THAT bad I'd keep it and have UPS pay for it, (I don't consider finish coming off bad, but if the wood itself is chipping off, that'd be pretty bad and depending how much is missing I'd consider returning it), If you're around the NYC area, I know a guy who'll charge you a reasonable rate for top notch work here.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

I can't tell if it was shippped to you or not. If there was damage in shipping, least exposure to extreme temperatures, the package should have gave some indication of that. Also can't tell if it's cracked or chipped, but I'd get a refund in heartbeat if it were an option. That's a neck through bass and you don't know what's going to happen to the existing damage in future. I sure wouldn't spend any more money on it. $400 buys a lot of bass. I picked up an Elite Stiletto last summer, mint, frets dressed, schaller roller bridge, with Bart soaps transplanted, and case for $280 shipped. The shipping recoup thing will take months. Cash is King dude!

4. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Yea I have the option for a complete refund. I will file a claim and see just how long it takes and if it takes too long I'll get a refund from the guy. I imagine if I do get it fixed though I could turn around and trade it in to Guitar Center for a little more than I paid right? I saw the same model but in cherryburst for like $480 today and I only paid $371.13 after shipping. So I imagine I would get a little more. I am going to go get the estimate though and file the claim with UPS I think and see how long it takes. Oh well thanks guys. I might just get a full refund but who knows. I don't want to be stuck without a bass now for a while though by returning this one.

5. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Where did you find your Schecter? Thanks

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a few thoughts to offer...

The bass at trade-in will bring about half of what the store would sell it for used. Don't expect too much. To get more from it, you'd have to sell it on eBay, or here or Harmony-Central or bassgear.com. Check all these spots for current resale prices.

I hope that you saved the shipping container and all of the original packing material. If not, good luck collecting from UPS. They'll dismiss the claim stating that the item was poorly packed and it wasn't their fault (think I've been through this before????). Fortunately for me, my darling wife talked the lady at UPS into covering the damage, even though they didn't want to...and they've gotten much worse since then.

Unless their policy has changed...the damage claim has to be filed by the person/company who shipped the bass to you in the first place. UPS will want to pick up the bass and packaging and send it back to the seller and then make arrangements to inspect it there. It's a terribly one-sided situation...UPS charges you to ship the bass...they accept your word that it's packed properly and gladly accepts your money for extra insurance. If they break it, they have final say about a damage claim....and you have to rely on someone who already has your money to act on your behalf to settle the claim for no further compensation.

If the crack is down by the nut, you sure don't want the headstock breaking off...

Personally, If I were you, I'd go for the refund no matter how much I liked the bass...

7. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

the only relatively secure purchase is 100% credit card, which you can contest and withhold payment. But only the amount charged to the card and even that will be a drawn out time-consuming process but you've got leverage. And Ebay and paypal account balances are truly not secure payments because Ebay is only good to $200 and they'll keep $20 of that for their trouble and you'll still have to pay shipping back. You can't zero out a paypal account through transfering to your bank account and they'll keep $20 of a dispute as well and you'll still pay shipping. These are also drawn out disputes.

I wouldn't dink around shipping that bass back cause the longer you take the more problem it will become. And you may encounter some difficulty getting your money back period, let alone in a timely manner. I'm guessing there's a good probability the bass was damaged before it was shipped, as the price reflects (can't you smell that smell). If that's the case, you're not dealing with the most reputeable people.

Seriously caution you to be reluctant to return it because it's your only bass. Like women, there's no short supply dude.

====================================================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

9. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Well originally I was going to buy for $500 yet $370.13 was all I had at the time. So the guy took that much since he had to get rid of it asap. It looks like I will be getting a refund and then just buying the Schect Diamond Series Stiletto Custom 4 in natural satin from my local GC. Oh well. This is what I get I guess.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you get your money back, you're way ahead of most of us. Don't feel like a sap. You were smart enough to post on this board and get feedback from people that have been around some and not so fortunate. And apparently even use that info appropriately.

=====================================================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Assuming that you can get your money back (less shipping both directions I suppose) it's still a cheaper lesson that if you came away with nothing.

Every time I buy an instrument over the internet (either from a business or from a private party) my wife reminds me of when I said (after the UPS fiasco) that I would never buy an instrument without trying it first.

I've now purchased six, I've only been truly happy with one or two and didn't keep the others around long. Fortunately, I did no worse than break even reselling them.

12. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Well actually I will break even. I paid for shipping to me and he agreed to pay for shipping the way back. I guess I consider myself VERY lucky for this. Oh well I think I learned my lesson about this. I guess even though you can get it for a steal on here sometimes it's not always worth it. Oh well, looks like I will save some more money and propably buy the Schecter Diamond Series Custom 4 in Natural Satin from GC. Thanks for the help. I am still settling things and if problems arise with the seller you all will for sure hear about it. Thanks though. Later.