shipping for combo amp>>>big box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loveandbass, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Anyone know where to get a big cardboard box to ship an SWR redhead in? The shipping company's box is just a little too small. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try going to a large economy store like walmart, target, best buy etc. ask a store manager or friendly employee.

probably get a box thats at least (my guess) 4" larger from each side of the amp and pack some stiff foam stuffing in the box. you might be able to score some bags of used styrofoam peanuts from the stores too! or foam packing.

don't buy a box at UPS OR MAIL BOX ETC they'll take you for a ride on the box and stuffing!!!!
  3. thanks...really appreciate the advice.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Here's how I pack big/heavy stuff...

I find a box that is at least 3 in. larger on each side of the item. I bust the box open at the side seam and turn it inside out. The box can be any shape originally... long, wide and skinny is OK if there is enough area to cover the thing that you're packing.

I then layout a new box to fit the item plus 3 in. on each side, top and bottom. I use a long piece of plywood as a form for bending new seams if need be.

From The Home Depot, I buy sheets (4x8 is) of 1-1/2 rigid's about $6 - $7 a sheet. I can cut it to rough size with a knife (actually cut in about half way and snap the foam (like cutting drywall)).

I wrap the item in brown paper or if it's small enough a garbage bag to keep the styrofoam off of it.

Then, I lay the foam down around the item on the open piece of cardboard and kind of assemble the box around it, gluing the seam with woodworking glue and using gobs and gobs of packing tape. I usually glue the top and bottom flaps too.

It sounds like a lot of work, but to me it's worth it to ensure that the item gets to its new home safe and sound. Buyers appreciate it too...

I stay away from peanuts for big heavy items...they get turned into dust and don't support the item that well. Bubble wrap is out too for heavy items.

Have fun and good luck!!!!
  5. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can try to get boxes from a place such as Guitar Center. Just check when they expect shipments, because from my experience, they throw them away as soon as they unpack them

I shipped my combo in a hefty TV box. I put a few layers of carboard on the bottom, bubble wraped the cab, then taped air pillows to the cab (put it in a bag first) and on the sides of the box, and used a bean bag chair worth of packing peanuts on all sides. Put a few layers of cardboard on top and taped it shut. Try to find a small variety of packing peanuts, the large ones tend to breakup as Billy said ^^.