Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping from another country

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jawzzz, Jul 1, 2003.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Has anyone ever had something shipped from another country? If so, how long did it take?Were there any problems? I bought a SWR I.O.D on E-bay and the shipping from Canada to Denver was said to be 8 to 10 bussiness days. It has been 9 days now and I am starting to wonder if it will ever get here. BTW Canada post tracking is useless.:meh:

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    If it hasn't even passed the time you should have gotten it yet, dont worry. Start worrying about a week from now. Until then though, don't worry about it. I had a DVD shipped to me from Hong Kong a while ago, and it took about 15 days to get here (to Boston).

3. From the US to Canada it only took a couple of days. A few weeks ago I bought a couple things from eBay. Both were shipped on the same Monday. The one from New Jersey was at my door Thursday, the one from Virginia came Friday. Both required massive customs fees.
    *sigh*

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    It depends on how long it takes to clear US customs; sometimes it clears in a day; other times a week. I shipped a bass from Toronto to Florida about a month ago - it took one day to get to Buffalo, then sat in Buffalo customs for a full week, before it was released & sent on its way.
    A week later I sent an amp to PA & a bass to California; they got to Buffalo in one day & through customs immediately ; they actually left Buffalo customs the same time as the item I sent week earlier!

Going to the USA from Canada, charges are minimal - only the brokerage fee (actually a paperwork prep fee) charged by the courier usually.

If you are a Canadian receiving from the USA, you have brokerage fees, 2 sales taxes & sometimes duty.Gets expensive.

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I had shipped a bass Fed Ex from N.Y. to the United Kingdom.
    It took 5 days for the buyer to receive it. That's pretty damn amazing!!

I have also ordered(won) some stuff on ebay from oversea's (russia).... 1 cd took 5 days to get........the other cd I'm still waiting on(it's been 2 weeks)

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My mate (in australia) ordered a slot car game on Ebay from the US and it took it 3 months to get here. :meh:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is because UK Customs are vastly over-stretched and open random samples of stuff but not everything.

So - I've ordered loads of small items from the US and they nearly always go through untouched and it can be as little as 5 days easily - I mean we're talking Airmail which only takes a day and then getting it on and off.

But occasionally they will open something - so inexplicably, they decided to open a Double CD set I had ordered and then, apart from it taking much longer - weeks - they slapped on duty and an additional charge just for Customs having had to open it! :(

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I odered a bass guitar form a bloke in Buffalo. It tooks 5 days (including the Easter weekend). I also got the duty bill, which was exactly as expected!

Although previously I ordered a smaller package. It got held up by the Post Office, duty got smacked on it ,and then an admin charge (cost more than the duty) for the Post Office to hold it for me until I picked it up......

9. Bruce Lindfield

It wouldn't be the Post Office holding it up - although they collect the duty - they are only doing it on behalf of HM Customs who are the only ones who can decide to open packages. The admin charge is what I was talking about - this is made by customs - although, as I say, collected by the PO.

The PO cannot legally open packages in transit and will not do this even if you ask them! Only bodies like Police, Customs, Home Secretary etc. can do this.

10. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It sounds like most of you have recieved your stuff fairly quick. How were your items shipped(UPS,FED EX,etc.....)? I am curious as to who will be delivering the IOD. It was shipped through the Canadian post office so I assume it will be delivered by the US Post office.:meh:

11. I ordered a couple of things through Amazon in the US (LONG story why, but anyway) and like Johnny was really annoyed that the admin fee was twice the duty/VAT paid and nearly half the total cost of the item. :mad:

I thought though that the PO gets the admin fee - I can't see it makes a lot of sense for HMC&E to charge an £8 admin fee for themselves to look at a docket and decide how much duty and VAT to charge.

"Look... this one says it's a CD. It's worth £blah"
    "Oh yeah. That's £X VAT and duty"
    "Cool."

Like THAT's worth £8!? What's their hourly rate :eek:

12. Bruce Lindfield

I can tell you that the PO definitely gets nothing from this - it is Customs' time you are paying for - as I said they are over-stretched and having to open your package is a major inconvenience, when they should be stopping drugs and other illegal stuff.

They are trying to discourage you - as I say the PO cannot legally open a package in transit - there is nothing in it for them - in fact it is a big pain!

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

The package wasn't opened! The description of the contyents and the value was written on the outside!

I'm pretty sure that the PO got the admin fee - the bar stewards!

Funny, when I imported my Yamaha, the courier - Parcel Force paid the duty and then collected the cheque when they delivered it to my door!!!!

But the PO gives you a slip to come collect your parcel yourself ,holds you to ridiculous sorting office hours, then charges you for their hassle.....

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hey Bruce - it's cool! I'm willing to admit I know nothing about it, it was just my assumption. I'm just sore that it cost about £8 for a guy to punch a value into a calculator and take a percentage of it! £8 for about 20 seconds work, I want that hourly rate.....:eek:

15. Bruce Lindfield

16. It's working... I'm discouraged! :rolleyes:

Fair enough. You have to admit it's all a bit of a lottery though isn't it?

PS. Bruce, are you allowed to tell us what your job is? Are you affiliated to the PO or C&E? Or would you have to kill us afterwards? :)

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No wonder Royal Mail are losing so much money :D

18. Bruce Lindfield

It shouldn't be - everybody should get charged - but with sheer volume of stuff generated by internet selling, there's no way that Customs can stop and check every item.

Funnily enough I got this charge from something I ordered via Amazon in the US. Whereas I have ordered loads of other stuff worth far more from other sites like Sheetmusicplus, CDBaby, Bass Collective etc. etc. in the US and have never paid anything!

I think the nessage for anyone in the UK is - never order stuff from Amazon in the US - I shoudn't think they would want you to either as they would rather you bought from Amazon.co.uk - higher prices!!

Maybe (I'm not paranoid!! ;) ) Amazon make sure their packages are stopped as they have a vested interest in getting people to buy from their UK site rather than US? :meh:

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    There is a limit, below which you don't pay duty!

There was a note to that effect on my package - to justify why the duty was levied. If memory serves the limit was £18 (about 29 or 30 euros)

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm.

Well, I bought The Jazz Theory Book from Amazon US, because Amazon UK didn't have it. I ordered, it arrived before long, no charges.

A few days later it turned out that some of the pages were blank, so I sent them an email, and they sent me a new copy (didn't have to send the old one back!), free of charge. Again, no customs charges or anything.

Was I just lucky?