Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping from the US - argh!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by moley, Jun 8, 2003.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm looking for some advice on shipping items from the US.

Here's the deal...

I've been looking for a few accessories for some of my gear - including, a proper stand, and a padded case for my Yamaha P80 digital piano, and a hard case for my Roland VS2480. Some investigation has revealed that Yamaha and Roland, respectively, do make these things, but only in the US. ARGH! This is very annoying for UK customers (like me).

And, it seems that a lot of companies selling this kind of gear over the internet (e.g. Musician's Friend), won't ship internationally. However, the ones that do, it seems won't ship certain manufacturer's products (including Yamaha & Roland) abroad - it appears it's part of their agreement for being authorised Yamaha & Roland dealers.

ARGH!!

There are also other things that are a *lot* cheaper in the US than the UK, such that even including shipping costs, it would be far cheaper to buy them from the US. But, I'll be damned if I can find anywhere that will ship 'em abroad.

So, what I want to know is, if ordering these things, and getting them shipped to someone in the US, who would then send 'em over to the UK is viable? Are there any legal issues with that?

If the shipping costs aren't too severe to make it worthwhile - is there any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

Also, could anyone give me an idea of how much shipping to the UK would be on, for example this case for the P-80?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You also have to pay VAT, which is something around 25% in UK, if I recall correctly. You could check german webstores like www.thomann.de for they have good prices on stuff too. I can't remember how it's with UK but in general you don't pay extra VAT inside EU.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Many smaller stores will ship internationally, it is perhaps a little more difficult to find them on the 'net. Send off some mail to stores on the retailer lists for the products you're looking for, and perhaps one of them can help you. The price might not be as good though.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You CAN find a lot of stores that will ship internationally. Problem is, if you need to buy 5-6 or more items from different places, cost really shoots up. To solve that problem, I made an arrangement with a friend in Florida. I ship everything there, then it all gets put into one large box and it's shipped to me.

This means I can buy in the cheapest place, and I save a lot on shipping charges too.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    VAT is 17.5%. Does that apply to goods from the US?

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was proposing - shipping it to someone in the US who could then ship it to me.

So does that work well for you?

Do you get hit with any fees?

Could you give me an idea of how much it costs for your friend to ship items to you?

7. Moley, if whatever you're buying more than £30, you have to pay tax. sucks :(

I feel your pain. Many a-bass I have misse dout on :(

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well, I am in the Middle East, so shipping charges are higher to here than they are to the UK. Keeping that in mind, to ship a bass for instance, cost about $240 if you use a courier service (I tried DHL, FedEx and UPS, all 3 without any problem). The way I arranged it, I sent a sum of money to my friend. My friend than carries out purchases for me.

For other stuff, I use USPS Air (United States Postal Service). This takes a lot longer - typically 3-6 weeks, but it is a lot cheaper. A box full of pickups, pickguards, a tele body, tele neck, shielding paint, knobs, bridges, neckplates etc etc cost me about $45 to ship, which was about 10% of the value of what's in the box.

Here, we have a customs duty of 4%, which is often waived, so no...no additional fees. For really expensive items (such as my Gibsons), I arranged to keep them with a friend in the USA, and then had someone carry them on the flight to here, so shipping was essentially free. This is the best way, provided you can find suitable 'victims'.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Aha, but what I'm talking about here is shipping to someone in the US, and then them sending to me.

If they ship it to me as a gift, surely there wouldn't still be tax?

But, is this allowed - does it break any kind of law?

10. o i see. sorry, i skimmed the topic :rolleyes:

A gift, there is no tax. There will only be a tax if the item is brnad new, from a retailer or warehouse... So no, no tax for you! Just a long wait & a possible hefty shipping bill!

:)