1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping from UK to US

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobunit, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I have an opportunity to purchase a bass from a private party in the UK and I'm looking for suggestions on shipping companies, payment options and surprises (fees, etc). The bass is US made and will be shipped in a hard case (boxed). My office has a FedEx account so shipping through them is a possibility but I'm looking at www.parcel2go.com too. The seller has requested payment via bank wire transfer or cash on collection (no Paypal). I'm not sure what cash on collection is and have never use bank wire. I appreciate any and all of your input. Thanks TB.

2. bobunit

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    :help:

3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I would guess "cash on collection" is the British equivalent of C.O.D. But, be careful about international shipping of wooden objects. I don't recall the forum or thread name, but there was recently a thread about a bass that was confiscated in international shipment because it was made of some wood on some banned or threatened list.

4. bobunit

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    The woods are flamed maple and mahogany.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I wouldn't know what's on the list, but I would check it out.