1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping in a hardshell case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidCruelty, Sep 8, 2008.

1. LiquidCruelty

LiquidCruelty

Sep 10, 2007
    I am selling a bass to someone within the continental US (I am located there too), and including a hardshell flight case in the deal. The problem is, it seems like I'll have a tricky time finding a box big enough to fit a flight case!
    Would it be possible/wise to use the case AS the box and just put a label with addresses and stamps on the case itself? I know that the US Postal Service in general will ship anything that is reasonably shaped and doesn't have things hanging off of it.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

Thank you in advance!

2. LiquidCruelty

LiquidCruelty

Sep 10, 2007
    And in case you are curious, it's a Lakland 55-94 deluxe lined fretless with (I think it is called) teal sunburst finish. :bassist:
    Getting $1900 and shipping for it.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

Is it an ATA-certified flight case?

If so, then you probably can. Another option is to get several smaller boxes and build your own to support it. Maybe wrap the flight case in bubble wrap and just wrap it in cardboard, much like a christmas present?

4. Just a heads up, but may not apply to you........

Shipped a bass in a Washburn flight case - not a Washburn so it was a tight fit but figured that was good because it couldn't move around - and UPS handling managed to cause a dent on the top edge of the bass even though I had bubble wrap in the case and the case was completely surrounded by bubble wrap in the outer cardboard box.

Turns out that the case didn't have much padding on the front and the edge one of the recessed latch assemblies caused the ding. But, the box must have been bounced around a good bit to cause the ding.

If I ever ship an expensive bass again, I will use a soft shell case and tape plywood to the top and bottom and 3/4 inch lumber to the sides. Won't screw or nail the "coffin" together - don't want to take a chance that rough handling will cause the "coffin" to come apart and the fasteners to pierce the soft case.

I have gotten several basses via UPS Or FedEx - some in hard cases and some in gig bags, some packed well and some not so well - without a problem. But, you never know...

Was told by UPS that an item should be packed well enough so the box can survive a 5 foot drop and a 50 pound box being dropped on it. Apparently UPS, at least, makes no distinct in handling and transporting a box that is uninsured or one that is insured for $3,000.

Good luck

RJM

5. LiquidCruelty

LiquidCruelty

Sep 10, 2007
    Thank you both for the info, I'll look into whether the case is ATA-certified.

6. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I would never send the case without it being in a box. You can always find a box big enough to accomodate it, even if you have to buy that box. I buy guitar shipping boxes and guitar case shipping boxes from Uline. They have very good prices and ship you their products very quickly.

I had someone ship me a Peavey T-40 in nothing but the case once, and I was pretty chapped. An ATA flight case would be a little better, but I still would want a box protecting my case.

7. It's a crapshoot. One of my basses came in an ATA flight case wrapped in one layer of cardboard, and was not damaged at all. Another also shipped in a flight case, which was wrapped in 6" of bubble wrap and an outer cardboard box, but the carrier (FedEx) damaged it. A third came from Cali to NY in a semi-hard case taped shut for the trip, but survived unharmed. How lucky do you feel?

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You can get boxes big enough at places like Uline.

I wouldn't ship the bass in the case without box. Get two boxes if you have to and put one over the other. Cut it down to fit snugly.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I always keep a box saved in the attic from one of my previous deliveries.
    But if I ever need a box, I just run to the nearest GC, they are always willing to give boxes away.

For the odd time I had to make something fit, then I stop by the local car dealer/bodyshop. Body panels and mouldings come in long-narrow boxes all the time.

Don't ship it without a box, it just screams "steal me!"

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    A box for a flat screen TV should work nicely.