1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Insurance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LaklandBass, Oct 4, 2010.

1. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Is it just me or is this insane?
    I went to UPS last week to ship a guitar and my total was like $40.... then extra for the insurance. The woman helping me wasnt being too friendly so I figured I'd just ask her what I've always been wanting to ask.
    If the insurance covers damage by UPS and loss of the package what on earth is the original $40 for? I asked her "wait, if I dont pay you extra for insurance you arent guaranteeing that my package will arrive safely or at all?"
    "So basically I'm pay you $40 to MAYBE, POSSIBLY deliver my package."
    She gave me the most blank and confused look I've gotten in quite some time.
    Shouldn't the insurance and everything just be rolled in to one price?
    I cant really think of another business where they deem it acceptable that you might not get what you paid for.

Wouldn't it seem nuts if you brought your car in for an oil change and they said the total will be $40 and for an extra $15 they'll promise to actually get around to changing the oil?

Just wondering if im totally crazy or if others have wondered this as well.

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    don't go to the ups store. print your own labels at home and save money. Go to shippers web site and save money.

Paul

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I wasnt at a UPS store. It was an actual shipping location owned and operated by UPS

4. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    the charge is for the obvious overhead costs+profit, ie fuel, labor, maintenance of vehicles, sorting of packages, etc...but i'm with you on the lack of guaranteed delivery

i've always seen it as a way to allow persons to gamble by opting to not purchase insurance or delivery confirmation, thus keeping the option to pay the $40 to probably have the package delivered, or pay $50 to be sure to either have it delivered safely or be reimbursed the cost of the package

if it were all rolled into the price, many people would be upset they have to pay for insurance and delivery confirmation...some people don't carry life insurance, some don't even carry liabilty car insurance:eek:...some are 'belt and suspenders' types--leaves room for both

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This seems glaringly obvious. The base charge is for the base service. UPS provides $100 of insurance on every package shipped as part of their base coverage. No delivery? In that case, you would of course put in a claim...and you are covered up to $100.

Want more coverage? Pay for it.

6. Exactly.

Another thought - if you insure for $1000 or more, a signature is required upon receipt. If I'm near 1k I'll just call it that so I don't have to also pay the signature required charge.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yeah. I'm to the point that I virtually only want to deal local. Its crap like that that really pisses me off.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    IME it's automatically insured up to a certain amount - then you pay extra if it's worth more. (Maybe that's with FedEx.)

Wherever I go, I just about always get hosed (i.e. unpleasantly surprised), shipping larger boxes. :rollno:

I finally got hip to Craigslist - that is now my first resort. (Except most people in this area aren't prepared to pay good money for some of the obscure things I collect. :meh:)

9. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    And where does integrity come in? If im shipping a PRS guitar that's worth $2000 they should guarantee that it gets there. Insurance only covers $100? they shouldnt agree to ship it if thats the case.

Im just making the point that its odd that they'll take your money but wont guarantee their service unless you pay some more money.

You'd think that they'd rather not touch anything unless its fully insured.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I respectfully but strongly disagree. It's not their job to set a value on an unknown object you bring to them sealed in a box. You are ignoring the concept of value received for value given.

If you want every object you ever ship insured for whatever value you claim, I'm sure someone would be willing to do that - for about $200 to $300 per box. There has to be enough money coming into the system to pay for what goes out of the system. People will give you guarantees, but guarantees do cost money.

It's much more economically effective for both parties, especially you - who has the primary interest in the object shipped - for you to identify the value and pay a reasonable fee for insurance coverage. Hey, they provide $100 of coverage at no extra charge. That's fair. The only issue with integrity occurs if they fail to pay a claim when it has been properly submitted and substantiated. This is business. It's a matter of contract. Good wishes don't count.

Consider: if you ship USPS, you pay less money - and get NO insurance coverage whatsoever. Even if the package disappears, you're outa luck. You have the alternative of using USPS, not paying for any insurance and not even getting $100 of coverage, and crossing your fingers.

I fail to see the problem. You want coverage? You can pay for it, and you'll get it. Don't want coverage? Then you don't have to pay for it.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021