Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping large packages, any advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by haujobb, Dec 25, 2004.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm selling off my stack to buy a new one, I can't seem to sell it locally because no one is willing to take on the size of the damn thing.

Anyways, I'm taking some pictures and putting it on Ebay, if it doesn't sell as a comlete unit I'm dissassembling it and selling it piece by piece. If it sells as a unit, I am going to have to ship upwards of 200 lbs worth of gear, so obviously the buying party is paying shipping on this one, but is there anything I should know/do before sending this thing on it's way?

Also, if anyones interested I'll post the link to the auction when it's up...

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    find out what the weight limits are for shipping to homes from your local usps, ups, and fed ex.
    see if you can get boxes and packing supplies from your local music store and make sure you pack the stuff securely. If you can, see if you can get a local store that ships gear out on a regular basis to have ups or whomever pick it up from them and pay the store for the ups shipping plus whatever fee they might charge you for letting you do it. I only did this once when shipping a guitar, but the peace of mind knowing it was packed correctly was worth the 20 or so bucks. When i shipped out a cab, i did it myself via usps, but got the box and packing material from a local shop.