Shipping/Manufacturer Delays - Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WG Plum, Dec 7, 2021.

1. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Just wondering if any has any inside information regarding Aguilar (and any other manufacturers) and when they might start shipping again. It's all been pretty opaque, and I'm one of those people that's incredibly patient provided there's some communication.

So, anyone have any info?

2. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I haven't heard anything and it seems the supply chain is getting worse and not better. I have $100k of laptops on order that I was told would be shipped mid November (this was in September) and the factory is now not committing to a ship date. The local Fender dealer says they haven't received their 2021 models yet. I just don't see new inventory hitting the shelves although I was told that what little shows up is sold right away.

WG Plum likes this.
  3. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Cars are even worse, I went by the local Subaru dealer today to buy an OEM oil filter and the lady who met me outside told me "yeah we don't have any new cars to sell" when I noted the showroom was empty.

I drove around the back of the dealership on my way out and saw three new Outbacks, all had paper dealer plates on them, I suppose they were already sold.

This is a smaller dealer but has usually had 75 - 100 cars in stock.

Analogeezer

fhm555, Khrist92 and WG Plum like this.
  4. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Yeah, I've been waiting on an order for a niche synth since March and the manufacturer is still waiting on enclosures.

It is what it is, but it would be nice if folks could at least send out a message to those that have already paid, even if it's 'sorry, we have no idea when we'll get our parts and will be able to ship'.

N4860 likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I just signed up the Fingers girls for their first "devices" (phone for the older one, "gizmo" phone watch for the younger one, and a new phone for me being that I switched carriers.) The guy at the Verizon place had to hunt and peck around for models and colors of phones available. Their stuff will be here in time for "Santa Clause". Mine won't be here until mid January.

He also said that when they launch a new iPhone they usually had a couple HUNDRED in the safe on launch day. This time they had FOUR iPhone 13 Pro phones on location and had to order the rest.

Things are tough all over, it seems.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    As a manufacture and from our own experience, the problem is we just don’t know ourselves. Promise dates from our vendors mean nothing anymore and it’s hard being asked availability questions from dealers and customers and just giving them dates, based on our latest information, that mean absolutely nothing. I’ve gotten to a point where my answer is, we’ll have them when we have them. It’s that bad out there and as was already said, it’s only getting worse. And logistics is a big part of the problem too. Just look at the back up of container ships at Long Beach. So even if vendors meet their target dates, we’re still at the mercy of the logistic companies, both in terms of lead times and pricing. Containers have gone from$5k last year to $30k this year. Insane!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  7. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    That's all many of us want to hear - we don't know any more than you. That's better than nothing.

Old Blastard likes this.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Supply chain is tough for everybody. I know that Subway amps have been shipping throughout North America regularly and are in stock at dealers that had ordered them, cabinets are a little slower because of some parts delays (ironically from the EU), and we made the decision to stop taking global (international) orders when we became aware that the supply chain issues were going to be much worse than originally predicted.

That said, I have seen improvements in SOME components, I think that we will see improvements in MANY components within 3-6 months (not the 1-2 years that many are still predicting), but yes, there will be SOME component categories that will remain impacted for 1-2 years.

There is quite a strategy involved in coordinating the supply chain for the thousands of parts used within our industry. There are folks who specialize in only that aspect, and they aren't getting much rest these days.

9. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    The thing is other than a very small minority of people here, nobody really needs a new amp or cabinet. I mean it's nice to buy stuff when you want it and have the money but it's not like people are having to cancel gigs or not play in bands because they don't own gear.

Putting it into perspective, as long as I can get TP, Paper Towels and food, not being able to buy gear is a very small inconvenience for USERS.

Big inconvenience for companies and dealers who need to move product for the income of course.

Analogeezer

SirMjac28, MCF, lomo and 6 others like this.
  10. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Unfortunate Andy, as I’m sure you know all too well, all it takes is one component to hold up an entire production run, even if it’s a 40 cent transistor. And some parts don’t have alternative sources, either functionally, or equally important, pcb footprint and pin outs. And it cost time and money to respin a pcb for alternative parts only to find out another part is unavailable. The problem is we usually don’t find out about delays until the promised delivery date comes and goes because that’s when and how our distributors find out. Very frustrating to say the least.

11. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've had a couple of vendors just stop advising ship dates. I have come to learn that they really had no idea in the first place. I'll think twice about selling something without replacing it first. Hopefully TP doesn't become and issue again :)

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yup, this is especially an issue in the digital and specialty IC market where there may not be a second source, or the software may not be compatible even if it will work functionally. For the want of a single part, an amplifier can't be shipped... and this is a sickening feeling, familiar to those who have gone through the experience.

As a follow-up, how can you tell if a vendor is lying these days? Their lips are moving.

Fishheadjoe, MHensleyJr, MCF and 4 others like this.
  13. Jim Bergantino

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    Even our vendors have vendors who they rely on to make our products, and they’re dealing with the same issues. Just ripples thru the entire supply chain. I am even less confident than I was a year ago of these issues turning around anytime soon.

14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Jim and Andy -- ballpark, what percentage of the components under the hood of one of your amps come from overseas?

And the same question for cabinets?

Thanks.

Khrist92 likes this.
  15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I suspect that might be difficult to answer since even if they source wholly domestically their vendors might themselves be dependent on overseas sources.

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I'm an operating room supervisor. We are facing supply shortages on sterile gloves, and much more vital surgical equipment that is either impossible to get or on nation wide allocation. This is a much bigger problem than basses and amps.

MHensleyJr, 31HZ, lomo and 8 others like this.
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I’m seeing it.
    I need to replace a leaking valve on a chiller and bought the last one(valve)in existence today. I have to quote it , and said I’ll get it when they approve the repair and was told it’s the last one available until ? So I bought it. Literally no one can quote against me unless they have an oddball part on a shelf somewhere. Not likely. I know the parts people personally so it wasn’t a line of BS. They will make more, but when?

I had a boiler pump motor go out at another site, new motor $500 , 26 week lead time and not guaranteed, new pump for $5500 in stock. Customer had no choice but to spend 5k extra to have heat.
    I heard there’s a chicken tender shortage now.
    It’s everyday. It’s every facet of life.

It will improve , but it’s been challenging, we’ve had to reinvent the wheel a few times.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    WG Plum likes this.
  18. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    I had a fairly long wait on a speaker cab recently (got it last week), delays with parts and then with boxes to ship the product in.
    Had a strange situation today where the company has sent me a second speaker!
    I’m doing the right thing and sending back..

Ric Vice and WG Plum like this.
  19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    My job is high end electronics. I’ve had more than one vendor cancel all back orders because they don’t have a fulfillment date.

I just received two dimmer switches I ordered in June.

20. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    And it goes much deeper than just component sourcing. Such a loss of the people with the learned-knowledge to keep the dots connected in the most simple points of all supply chains. That is a concerning as challenges in waiting for various speaker and audio system components in order to build the products. Like Andy and Jim, we've all been in this industry for a long, long, time. No play book exists for much of this.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022