Shipping/Manufacturer Delays - Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WG Plum, Dec 7, 2021.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I’ve had pumps and motors rebuilt rather than replaced. Good machine shops that specialize in this work can be worth their weight in gold (provided they can get the seals & bearings).

El Apestoso likes this.
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005

This particular motor requires a rewind as the windings shorted together.
    We do have motors rebuilt.
    We rebuild pumps ourselves.

I’m the field guy. Smarter people than me make those decisions. Yes I’m being sarcastic. They wanted it back up as fast as possible.

3. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Nobody ever dismissed shipping costs before. But it was never a show-stopper.

Now big distributors are getting killed on supply chain woes. They can either pay as much for freight as for the product ( no lie! ) or run out of stock. And everything, mostly, regardless of cost, is late. At least most of the competitors are in the same boat. Very bad for the consumers, for everybody.

Strange times indeed.

WG Plum and agedhorse like this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Am I correct in saying that RCA, Sylvania, Philco and Zenith all closed their U.S. semi conductor manufacturing plants long ago? Amps are still built in the U.S. i.e. Aguilar, Bergantino, Gallien Krueger, Gentz Benz and others, but the components for those amps are manufactured of shore.

El Apestoso and Methaneman like this.
  5. Corigan

Corigan Shaking Rumps with Thumps Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Georgia
    Been waiting for a tonehammer di for about 5 months. I guess it could be worse. I was just reading about all the medications that are back ordered that people can't get. Things seem to be looking worse than better from my general observations in stores. I've never seen such empty shelves in my life.

I was in a dollar general today checking out. Girl came into the store, less than 30 seconds she was leaving. Clerk asked her if she needed help with something when she was heading out. She said, you don't have it, your entire shelf was empty. That is the reality im seeing on a daily basis when I go shopping.

WG Plum likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The motor shop I used to use did it all, rewinding, machine work, bearings, alignment of bearing shell carriers. The only thing that was a "no go" was if the frame or the stator structure got damaged in a "catastrophic mechanical event". I used this method a lot for obsolete or specialty frame industrial motors where it was both faster and cheaper to get back up and running. I could drive it over to their shop, and pick it up as soon as it was ready. I once delivered a motor at 7am with a big carrier of Starbucks coffee, that put me right at the front of the line that day! This was for either a 3 or 5HP motor but 3 phase and a 1940's cast iron frame and it was cheaper than changing out the mount.

There are still plenty of semiconductors being fab'd in the US, but they tend to be high performance, high value parts. Even semiconductors can be made up from parts of different regions. For example the wafer, the die bond wire, the lead frames and the overmould can all come from different countries.

Components are very a global business, I deal with this stuff daily and if I make good guesses I can make things easier for everybody. I don't always make good guesses however. As Jim alluded to, what was good info yesterday may be the wrong decision today, so you can't get too freaked out when you miss something.

El Apestoso, 31HZ, MCF and 3 others like this.
  7. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

No inside info here, just my own experience;
    I ordered an Aguilar amp on 7/9/21. It arrived 9/15.
    Ordered a 2nd Aguilar 9/28 for estimated 10/25 delivery - changed to end of Nov, and then end of Dec.
    I'm not surprised at all, and will just wait patiently. (played my last gig for the foreseeable future on Labor Day anyway)

My brother works for Bosch/EV - they can't even get shipping containers...

One thing that does surprise me are some areas that don't seem to be affected;
    Ordered a Dell laptop on Black Friday. Better deal than I got on an open box 2 1/2 years ago. Should ship this week.
    Went TV shopping last Friday after our 15 year old plasma went out.
    No shortages there - pretty much whatever Brand / model / size you want is available, and pretty amazing price-wise compared to 10-15 years ago.
    I'm on "Costco" duty, as it's 5 minutes from my office (I commute), and it's not much different than usual (they always did seem to be out of, or stop carrying something) but for the most part, they've been pretty well stocked.
    Our local grocery store & walmart is another story - still a lot of empty shelves.

"You can't always get what you want..."

WG Plum and Staccato like this.
  8. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Hey I just got a JK 370 pedal after about a year. Quality takes time too... :)

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Your DI will be appreciated. This thread makes me glad I located a Tone hammer DI before the price moved up.

Corigan likes this.
  10. That’s just where they keep that model.

Back about half a lifetime ago (or more), I worked at a mega-dealership body shop. Subaru was one of the brands. We had fixed a dent in a new Outback and my boss told me to deliver it across the street. There wasn’t any parking spots in front, so I parked it in back. I went inside and gave the keys to the sales manager and said “I’ve got an Outback out back.” He laughed, though I’m sure he’s made and heard that joke 1,000 times.

New car lots around here are better, but they only seem to have 20-30 new cars, when usually they have 100-200. You can view inventory online. There’s all of 3 new VW GTI’s across 4 local dealers, and one is asking over $40k for it! (Not an R.)

11. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    I found one on Amazon. If you click the other purchase options and filter for Prime it gives you sellers that have stock already in the Amazon warehouses. That said, mine was a Japanese export (judging by the instructions) that I guess was sent back here at some point to be in a warehouse. I have also seen a couple in the classifieds here recently.

Corigan likes this.
  12. jhfishn

jhfishn

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    I took a bass to my local Guitar Center for a setup. They have a new tech there that's very professional and does a superb job and really knows his trade.

He told me an interesting fact that he's been doing a good deal of repairs and/or setups on brand new imports of all types due to the fact that they've been sitting offshore in containers and the wood is being affected.

That's a sad extra problem due to the shipping issues I guess.

I've got 2 superb Laklands ... 1 USA and 1 import so I don't really anticipate any new bass purchase but if this is accurate then it's something to be on the lookout for when purchasing.

I wonderful how electronics will hold up in a container on a ship.

Anyway .... that's what he told me so with this post I thought I'd pass that along.

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Good to know this. Thanks.

I own two Lakland as well, both 55-94’s (one fretted, one lined fretless) I bought the first one in 2000 the second,

used in 2021. Recently, on the Lakland thread, John was quoted as saying that their looking at

alternatives to swamp ash, because it’s becoming increasingly difficult and more expensive to

source. I know the Canadian government has a reforestation policy, unfortunately the U.S.,

at least as far as I know, does not. Just my take.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    jhfishn likes this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Just for accuracy's sake, Genz Benz has been shut down for a number of years and their amps were made in Taiwan.

wcriley likes this.
  15. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I work at a company that supplies high purity sputtering targets to all the fabs around the world. We source metals from Germany, Australia, China , and several other places. Currently we are 3 to 6 months behind on our shipments, because our suppliers are also.

agedhorse likes this.
  16. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming! It's helpful to get real world reports on the impact of the supply chain issues.

Khrist92 likes this.
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Can't speak to what's going on at Aguilar, but I'm currently coming up on 11 months since we ordered our new GE kitchen appliances, and we still don't have the dishwasher. Thankfully the local company we ordered through provided us with a loaner. Currently expected in February/March, but it just keeps getting pushed back.

WG Plum likes this.
  18. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Waiting 6 months for a couch. I hear the wait is up to a year now

punchdrunk likes this.
  19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I’m in the very early stages of researching/ replacing my 20 year old Nissan Pathfinder and the local car dealers I have stopped into all told me it’s a really bad time to be auto shopping.. no inventory and good luck bargaining with them.
    I was planning on acquiring my new vehicle late winter so hopefully things will improve.. but it’s not looking good.

matti777 likes this.
  20. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    A co-worker was telling me yesterday that a local quad (RTV) dealer was selling them at high prices and you have to finance. The interest rate was 23%. Supply and demand I guess. My 2011 Jeep better keep going for at least another year.

agedhorse likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022