Shipping/Manufacturer Delays - Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WG Plum, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Oldbasslover

Oldbasslover Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    My son recently needed to get a new car due to MVA. The dealers are selling 2-3 year old cars with 50K miles for more than the MSRP of a brand new 2021-22 of the same make and model. If they had a new car it was at least 4-5k higher than the MSRP. He was looking at cars that normally sell in the 20k range - Sentra, Altima, Corolla, Camray, Sonata, Elantra. There is an all around shortage of stock, so the prices go up…
    You can find reasonable prices by private sellers if you have a good mechanic that can check it out thoroughly.

57pbass likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Good point, I should have said Gentzler Amplification.

3. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    The issue in general that I haven't seen discussed is how well companies will withstand the shortages. If you can't ship product your revenues are down significantly it could be devastating especially the smaller companies.

wcriley likes this.
  4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I will be bringing my vehicle in for inspection in January and will make a decision at that point.
    I might have to pay for some maintenance and just keep my old vehicle on the road for another year. Thankfully the car has not been a money pit so I can’t complain.
    The used car market is weird here since there are many Hurricane Ida flooded cars on the market..

phephron likes this.
  5. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Inactive

Jun 22, 2013
    Our venders have vendors whose vendors have vending machines which are empty because the vending machine vendor’s vendors have vendors that are waiting on their vendors to get a ship date from their vendors. Ironically the first said vendor and last said vendor are located in the same town…
    Continued ad nausem…..

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Genzler is Also made in Taiwan:)

7. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Yes, this is sort of a large scale version of the issues that restaurants and clubs had - no ability to make revenue forced tons of these businesses to close.

matti777 likes this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I recently drove by a largish GMC dealership and there was less than ten new trucks on the lot and maybe fifteen used vehicles on a huge lot that has always been brimming with new trucks.
    That said, i recently heard a report detailing relaxed requirements for OTR drivers in an effort to get more goods off the dock and on to shelves. Apparently the problem is directly related to available labor and suppliers refusing to pay outrageous shipping costs.

9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I just bought a new Subaru, it took about a 6-7 weeks (from Japan) to get mine. They actually told me I might not see it until January. The local dealer only has a few pre-owned and that was it. They have never seen anything like this before.

Lots of truth to that. I handle logistics for a manufacturer in Spokane, WA. While most of the issues we have had are related to getting components for our products, I've also had a difficult time getting freight out the door due to carriers and freight forwarders not having the trained people to handle everything. I heard that one trucking company lost most of their drivers at one point. I've been doing logistics, including working as a freight forwarder, for 25+ years. Even during the worst port strikes I haven't seen anything like this.

WG Plum likes this.
  10. crucislancer, Tom Kinter and WG Plum like this.
  11. Seth Shonefeld

Seth Shonefeld Supporting Member

An extremely good read. High altitude, expectation-setting conversation. Very timely reminder for a season to be grateful for what we have. Thx!

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I must say, I very much appreciate the insight and perspective offered by the amp makers ( @agedhorse @Jim Bergantino @Jeff Genzler ) who have contributed to this thread, and to the TB community as a whole.

13. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    They used to keep a STi parked in one of the entryways to the showroom, but it was long gone I guess.

Yeah I just spent even more money on getting an elderly car repaired (front main seal leak); I was getting ready to move long to something else but. kinda stalled, now prices are insane for used cars, even offbeat ones like I typically buy. Just gonna wait and soldier one with what I have.

But yeah over $40k for a GTI, that is insane. I take it this means they will be asking $60k if they ever get a Golf R in stock.

Analogeezer

14. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    A 2011? That's only two years older than my NEWEST car LOL.

I'm not a cheapskate, I just tend to keep cars a long time and make sure I have gotten my use out of them. Out of 11 cars I only ever bought one because I wanted to instead of needing to. Also I tend to own offbeat cars that often go out of production or get ruined when they get updated. So it's not like being able to just go buy the latest model, it's usually either no longer in existence or updated to the point of not being remotely the same as the version I own.

Analogeezer

15. Khrist92

Khrist92 Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    New Jersey
    I'm an (apprentice) electrician working on the East Coast. Throughout the last year and a half it has been touch and go with getting materials (wire, especially - the price has doubled or more in some cases). For a while there were plenty of standby generators, then they were out, now there are plenty again but no transfer switches (what actually makes it work). Just this past weekend my coworker's truck was broken into and materials and tools were taken. Got it on camera but no license plate on escape car. Whole operation took 3 minutes.

On a side note this makes me very thankful I got my new truck when I did. Even if it is a 2011 it is in great condition and I got a deal on it; however, not as good a deal as I could've gotten 3 years ago when I first looked at that same model.

agedhorse likes this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    OIP.uqgjNVma94zUMXxepglTxgHaE-?w=256&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Geri O and agedhorse like this.
  17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Dang… I guess I’m keeping my amps and other electronic gear.

jeff7bass, matti777 and WG Plum like this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I am in the planning stages of a doom's day party and music jam. Anyone interested?

jeff7bass, agedhorse and matti777 like this.
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Your car too.

Matt Dean and WG Plum like this.
  20. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    jeff7bass and crucislancer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022