Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping method for basses from Australia to o/s?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikeboth, Feb 1, 2005.

1. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm guessing someone from Australia has shipped a bass overseas, so - how did you do it? Australia Post won't take packages over 105cm in one dimension, and all the rest of the companies I've found (Fedex, DHL etc) have express services that are big $$$! There must be something in-between, surely?! BTW, the bass needs to be shipped in a hard-shell case, otherwise I could separate the neck and body and send Aus Post. TIA for any help!

Mike

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You have answered your own question. Either use one of the big shipping companies and wear the cost, or us Australia Post and conform to their size restrictions.

Personally it is miles cheaper to ship a bass with separate neck / body packages. I would dump the case and ship the neck and body separate. However if the bass is worth $$$ then the shipping costs will be marginal to the cost of the bass.

Finally - why the hell would anyone want to buy a bass from Australia? Its so expensive here I cannot possibly think how anyone could be getting a deal. :D

3. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Ok, well, glad I'm not missing something obvious. The bass / case in question is for an ebay auction, and I have proposed that the case be left out and the bass shipped in two bits.

Thanks

Mike

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its really going to dpeend on the value of the bass. Shipping costs are going to be high, but if we are talking about a $5000Aus MTD or something, whats $250 shipping. OTOH if its a $279 SX, it hardly seems worth shipping a case that is going to add $150 to the shipping cost.

5. Agreed. What bass are we talking about..

Is it something like Belman or Cole Clark or like that?

6. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Never even heard of those :), so ... no. I'm only asking for an international bidder. Unlike a bunch of people in the USA, I'm happy to ship anywhere mainly because being in Australia you have to do that often anyway

Mike

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Off topic - but man those things on your website are so cool! I can't believe there hasn't been a thread about them on TB!

8. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks .... that side of things is on the quiet now, but one day I'll be back (shakes fist)!!!! :bassist:

Mike