Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping my bass for a session-need help!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, Aug 6, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    Gents:
    I am shipping my bass for a 6 week session from Los Angeles to Atlanta----I have never done this before, I'm wondering if you guys can help me with ideas, methods, shippers, packing tips---anything----Also cost if you guys know approx. what It would run me----It will be this basses first session, she's a fine German ply from the 50's-----Thanks in advance, guys----

2. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    OK---thanks for the Info, Ed---
    So,what I'm understanding here is that IF I fly, (which I am---), And can get my hands on a Gage Bass trunk, that I can bring that to the airport and have them but that big boy under the plane---I'm sure there would be an oversize fee, but that's cool, much easier than crating/shipping---Now if I can find a Gage Bass trunk in LA-----I'll be trying---I assume this is what you're saying is possible, Ed?

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I was talking with a bassist who has done some flying with a bass and here is what she said.

You can buy a seat for the bass and fly it with you in the cabin in a soft case. You place the base upside down with the curve of the neck on the seat and belt it in. You sit in the seat next to it at an unique angle for the flignt. The one hitch is the pilot can say no way even if the airline says it is ok.

You might call the airline and ask. Diffrent airlines have diffrent rules and with the increased security it might be a real PITA.

Also, she said that she was a nervious reck the whole time worring about her bass.

Joe

4. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    and thanks for that--yet another idea!-I'm paying $340 to fly out to Atlanta, I was hoping for a cheaper method to get my baby out there for the session--Hopefully I was understanding Ed correctly and can locate a David Gage trunk, and maybe pay $100 or so? to the airlines for oversize luggage, I hope this works out---....Still waiting to hear anymore suggestions on this---
    Also my bridge and soundpost are "perfect" and I don't wanna have to tear down that magic either....and I don't claim to have the skill to reset those puppies either---