Shipping my bass from chicago to boston

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Gsxtasy99, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm a student at berklee college of music. I am an electric bass principal but i double on upright. I didn't bring my Kay with me because i figured i wouldn't have room for it in my itty bitty dorm, and i would be too busy practicing electric bass to have time for it.

It turns out i miss upright too much, and i am willing to sacrifice access to my closet to have it here. My home is in chicago, and i need to ship it from there to boston. I have no idea how to go about this. I tried google already, and it offered no help.

Does anyone know of a shipping company that's any good in the chicago area? Any special concerns?

I'm expecting this to be expensive, but it's cheaper than someone driving the bass out, as it's two LONG days in the car each way.
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I'm thinkin' your best plan would be to call your Chicago bass luthier and ask him/her if they could put your bass in the next bass box that arrives at their shop. Steve Reinfrank and Michelle Fiori are both in that area, and both are great bass shops.

I'd probably recommend Overnite Transportation for a shipping company, I've used many and they break fewer basses than most. The insurance works this way: they give you upfront $25 per pound, and that box should way around 40 lbs. If the bass is worth more than a g-whiz (car biz talk for $1000) than pop the extra $35 for insurance.

Expect to pay oh maybe around $200.

A friend or family member can deliver it to your luthier perhaps? Be sure to get the tracking number so you can track it by phone and web as it makes the trip. I'll bet your prof can tell you what dock at the school to have it delivered to. Those guys won't ship to a dorm room or any resicence for that matter without charging you alot of extra loot.

G/L! :)