Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping on E-bay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 26, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Has anyone noticed how much most of the sellers on e-bay are charging for shipping of Basses and other things. I saw 1 seller selling El-Cheapo $25 basses with $70 shipping. WHAT THE F**K!!! :scowl: I have been finding some pretty cool basses on E-bay, but they are charging $35 to ship. That is crazy. I live in the Upper Mid-west. For me to ship to either coast is under $20. Is anyone else extremely offended by this or at least insulted by the rip off people trying to make even more money on shipping? :mad:

2. I think I'm right in saying that the "final value fee" the seller has to pay Ebay is based on the bid "excluding shipping" so, for obvious reasons, the sellers are seeking to increase the money they actually receive without increasing the level of fee they have to pay to Ebay.

I'm not condoning it - I'm just trying to explain why I think it might be happening. :meh: :meh:

3. For me at least, shipping involves me driving halfway across Buffalo, or a good 20 miles if I'm in Ithaca if I'm going to ship a bass. A lot of people also ship via the UPS store, which charges exorbitant rates. I can fully understand charging between 30 and 35 to ship, maybe more if its UPS store and they don't have access to another way to ship. 70 on the other hand is just ouch. That's WAY too much.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree.

No point getting offended, or upset, about it, though. If you think they are overcharging for shipping, then don't buy from that seller.

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I can understand up to a certain point. Generally I won't go past $35 for shipping. Especially if it's not from a company and the seller has to buy the packing materials on top of the shipping.

But for those who charge 50-70 or such for shipping, that's just ridiculous.

6. I know that at least one person who sells on ebay does that to make his money. He lists his product at cost to get under everybody else hoping that the fool who buys the product didn't look at the shipping cost. No longer my friend anyway. That's pretty underhanded.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently shipped a P-Bass w/case from MI to CA via UPS, and it cost me about $33 with insurance.

8. When I've sold instruments on eBay, I charge $25.00 for a guitar, and $35.00 for a bass, UPS and insured. I've never made a "profit" on shipping.

As a matter of fact one guitar from CA to upstate NY cost me $33.00, oopps!

So I don't think $35.00 is unreasonable.

However, as to your original post, yep $75.00 is unreasonable. They do it to entice people with low prices and to avoid paying higher final value fees to eBay. Their profit is in the shipping. And yes it is against eBay rules under "Final Value Fee Avoidance" IF they ever get caught they COULD be in trouble. It won't happen though unless they are really high, like $150.00 for S/H. The loophole of course is that eBay allows sellers to charge a "fair" price for "handleing" and what you want to charge for this is up to you.

So if you don't like th S/H fee, don't buy, most people won't after they get stung once or twice anyway.........

...........Jim

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't buy from people who charge an obviously high shipping fee.

I also send them a note explaining that I while would have purchased their item, after seeing their over-priced shipping I went with someone else..

They propbably dobn't care, but I feel better knowing I've done my part. I include shipping in all my auctions.

You can go to a UPS or FedEx or whatever desk (not "store") and ship anything for MUCH less than the "store" price. Just pack it yourself.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just looked at a SWR California Blonde and shipping was $100 Flat rate. That is crazy! :rollno: