Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping over-seas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tww001, Nov 3, 2005.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Does anyone have an idea of the cost to ship an upright to London? I'm going to be spending a few months in England next year (I'll be leaving in August or September), and I'd like to be able to bring my instrument rather than renting one while I'm over there (depending on cost, of course). I talked with my luthier (Mike Shank) about this a week or two ago. He said that I would need to rent a trunk for my entire stay.

Mike also mentioned something about asking Barrie Kolstein about the possibility of getting a discount for one-way shipment (i.e. the chance of him bring a bass from England to the states), and me getting a discount for bring a trunk to England for him (with my bass in it). The worry about that, of course, would be gambling on the same situation happening when it was time for me to return to the States.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    When I bought my old American Standard from the Usa it came in a good carboard box, totally undamaged. I later used that box to ship one bass back to the US. Smooth trip either. I've also shipped two basses over the years to London in cardboard boxes via truck and it was trouble free both times. Just lucky? Remember insurance is the first thing to think about, though.
    Good luck.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Thanks. Insurance is definately a must. If you don't mind, how were the basses situated in the boxes? Upright? Horizontal? Were the strings, tailpiece, sound-post, bridge, etc. removed?