Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping overseas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by morebass!, Feb 9, 2006.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    A lot of you won't do it. Why not? I have an offer from a new TBer in the UK. Anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Fear of the unknown for the most part I think.

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yup -- seems very complex if you've never done it. But also, the fear of refunds -- the costs associated with re-shipping etc. are pretty daunting. Just make sure everything is on the table, and you're very clear about shipping options. If they don't want to pay the extra costs for tracking, you have to make it clear who bears the risk.

I've shipped things to England, German, Spain and Australia. The dude in Aus wanted to go as cheap as possible, so we agreed that he was accepting the risks of non-delivery, slow delivery, etc. We went with surface parcel, which takes 4-6 weeks...he got it two months later, emailed me that it had arrived, and all was good. I haven't done a ton of overseas deals, but I've never had a problem with the handful I have done.

Suggestion -- if you are shipping a guitar, consider shipping with the neck detached. There are box size regulations, and bass boxes can get very very close to those limits. Plus, separated, the buyer is less likely to get hit by import surcharges that full instruments often get tagged with.

And there's a diferent form you have to submit to the post office -- nothing crazy, just a bit more complex.

Best of luck!

ltt

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Overseas Shipping is ungodly expensive. And then when you get the item, you get to pay customs on it aswell...

Thats why we never do it

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It certainly ain't cheap...

But I think a lot of those countries don't have NEARLY the wide selection of discount stores we do, so even after the hefty shipping charges they often make out like a bandit.

Again, though, mistakes aren't cheap to work out, so it's huge that you make sure everything is good and clear up-front.

6. mVC

mVC

Jan 28, 2006
    Absolutely right. I live in Israel, there are tons of music shops in every town and city, but the high-end instruments, amps and accessories are not available. This is due to small market, very high exchange rates and customs.

I imported both my F-Basses (6'ers, fretted and fretless) from the US, as well as my EBS preamp and pedals and the Eden Metro. It was very (very very...) expensive, but worth every cent.

Maurice

7. I think that as long as you get the money from the buyer (cash in hand), and you make sure they understand about paying the full shipping price (steep) as well as any import prices that they'll have to cover once it gets there, as well as risks of shipping overseas. Then it's all fine by me. Just make sure you cover all the bases and it should be all cool :)

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Looks like this has run its course. Thanks to all who replied. I didn't see any real reason not to do it as long as you get paid for the item, shipping and insurance in advance and don't mind a little extra paperwork.