1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping Paranoia

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumbdrum, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Sep 19, 2006
    NorCal
    So while patiently waiting for my recent acquisition my mind has been betraying me and I have been thinking about shipping scenarios that could damage a bass.

The weather around here has heated up quite a bit and I decided to check the national weather and it is really warm nationwide. So I got to thinking...is shipping a bass via ground a bad idea during the hot summer months? Bass+back of Fedex truck or hot warehouse can't possibly be a good thing. Right? Or am I just being paranoid.

2. AFAIK, it's not simply temperature but the speed in which an instrument can reach to a high or low, and then recover back to room temperature... which is why you're supposed to let an incoming instrument spend a few hours doing so before opening a box/gig bag/case in extreme Winter or Summer weather. I've always done so having both received and shipped basses in both seasons, and have never had any trouble nor heard from anyone I've sold to.

Besides, if you ship via air you're still going to have to deal with temperature and other extremes, as I don't believe airplane cargo holds are pressurized and/or heated during a flight as well as the handling from airplane loaders - we've all seen them throwing luggage into cargos, right? Well, I doubt that a "Fragile" (if it's an Italian bass ;) ) sticker will suddenly make then treat a bass like fine china. I think, barring some random unforeseen incident that shipping Ground during the Summer (or Winter) is fine as long as it's packed properly and with support in the proper places.

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    It's only for a couple of days. Bass may need to settle down a bit after, but I'd say, you suffer from acute incurable paranoia.

4. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Sep 19, 2006
    NorCal
    I forgot to mention that the bass i'm waitng for is a hollowbody, so I think my paranoia stems from reading about acoustic instruments sitting in hot trunks and such...glue softening, bridge sliding off, bracing coming apart, tops and fingerboards seperating, etc. I

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It would have to be REALLY hot for the glue to come undone.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If it were a problem to ship musical instruments in the summer months all of the music stores in the northern hemisphere would go out of business tomorrow. The ones in the southern hemisphere would make it until Christmas.

Your bass will be fine.

7. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Sep 19, 2006
    NorCal
    Yeah, I'm sure it will be fine, I know instruments get shipped year round and there is nothing to fear really if I didn't I would have title this thread "rational fear of summer heat" :p

Just sharing how the mind to play tricks on you during the long drawn out "in transit" time.:D

8. Well for what its worth, I played a warwick thumb 5 all last yr in Iraq. We flew all over the country performing and sometimes our equipment had to sit outside on air palets ranging from hrs to one or two days. Oh and during the summer the heat got to 130 degrees. Aside from some occaisional truss rod adjustments, there were no problems with that bass. I can imagine yours will be okay. Hope that atleast helps ease your mind some.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021