1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shipping parts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Wow, now I'm realizing why I avoided Stew-Mac for so long.
    They charge $10 to ship & it still takes 5 working days to get the item.

Ibanez has shipped to me twice in as many weeks & took only 2 working days for the same price, delivered by FedEx to my local pharmacy so I didn't have to wait around for the delivery all day.

Philadelphia Luthier Supply has free shipping for orders over $50, & also delivered in 2 days.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    It’s maddening when you need stuff from a couple different sources and have to pay shipping on both orders.

3. Stew-Mac has a subscriber's deal where you pay $40/year & they don't charge you for shipping with every order.
    However, I didn't see anything about them expediting those orders.

The one local luthier (that quit) was an All-Parts rep. & I could piggyback my parts on his frequent orders, no shipping costs.

4. Hmm, turns out their 5-day delivery time was probably just being safe for Independence Day. It arrived in 3 days:

[​IMG]

5. Here's a tip, if you have an Amazon Prime account you can get free delivery on many items from Stew-Mac:

StewMac

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That's really good to know. :thumbsup:

7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's not really free, though. For Amazon to offer "Free Shipping with Prime", they charge the vendors shipping costs on top of normal warehouse stocking fees, so vendors raise the price on Amazon. You don't think that Amazon is eating the cost on all that shipping, do you?

Here is an example: The Basic setup kit. $108.75 + $14.99 shipping on Stewmac.com or $123.74 on Amazon with free shipping. In both cases you're paying $123.74. You will get it a day or two earlier, though.

Basic Setup Kit | stewmac.com
    https://www.amazon.com/StewMac-Basic-Guitar-Setup-Kit/dp/B01HUCIV7O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GCD9ZRBAVU3E&keywords=stewmac&qid=1562861979&s=gateway&sprefix=stewmac,aps,174&sr=8-3

8. Oh dear, I did notice a price difference, but I thought it was because I was looking at a pack of 3 shims. (instead of a single, like I purchased)
    This is the main reason why I've avoided Stew-Mac all these years, you can't win with the shipping.

If you're ordering more than one item it would save you money to buy direct from Stew-Mac.
    I threw in a handful of bits & bobs while I was making the order, but unfortunately two of those items don't fit the tiny Metric pots I excavated from the GSR100.