Shipping Tip - Death to UPS!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jan 7, 2003.

1. So I just did a trade with another member, and he turned me on to FedEx ground shipping. A fully insured bass from Missouri to N. Carolina was only $15.44 !!!! Cant beat that. I talked to the FedEx lady, and she said they strive to be 30% less than UPS - I'm glad cause I hate UPS. UPS counter ppl have always been rude, while the FedEx ppl are very cool - your service center may vary, heh.

Maybe everyone knows this already, but for some reason I thought FedEx ground was only for business to business, but it works for residential as well.

2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    glad i saw this thread; I'm getting ready to ship a telecaster that i just sold...Thanks!
  3. I just shipped a bass from Myself to Odie last week. Southern California to Minnesota, fully insured for $23.00 gotta love it.
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    hmm.. I ordered some stuff UPS.. 100 dollars worth of stuff.
    I payed 8 bucks shipping and it was a 10 pound package. I ordered, a boom stand, a E-V Cobalt series instrument Microphone, Some cables, a pop filter, 2 sets of guitar strings, some bass strings, and some guitar picks. (No i dont play bass with a pic..well sometimes i do depends on the song really.)
    bah. UPS is alright, i got my package in 4 buisiness days, when they said it would be 5-7. IM happy about that. Maybe UPS sucks in your town, but it doesn't in mine. At least you got your stuff.
  5. My day job is kinda cool in that I work primarily from home since my company is based in the Bay Area and I'm down in Orange Co. So I get to use both UPS and Fedex a lot.

Fedex is good from a convenice point since I can send packages using online shipping labels. I believe UPS is heading in that direction. Fedex, however has yet to be able to deliver a Christmas gift to my in-laws, after about 10 tries. They claim they can't find the address per the online summary(UPS and USPS have had no trouble what so ever). And forget about getting a live person on the phone.

Now as for UPS, I've never had trouble getting things. But one time I sold a keyboard and shipped via UPS. They delivered it to the wrong address and I had to tell them to go get it more than once. Imagine directing someone from 3000 miles away. They did finally get it right, however.

The only thing about UPS is when you go to one of those "Mailroom" stores. They really sock you on fees. Luckily, I only live about a mile from a huge UPS distribution center.

I find UPS more reliable for certain items. Fedex is definitely more convenient, since for business packages they GIVE you a ton of supplies free.
  6. yea, but look, I'm not really talking about a UPS vs FedEx war ... even though the title of my post suggested that :)

Shipping a bass in a box is a LARGE item - 51" long, and 20 lbs. You know they charge more for girth like that. I was simply blown away that it was only $15 via FedEx - i was expecting $30-40.

I get stuff via UPS all the time at work, it gets here, sure .... in this instance, FedEx is the clear winner. And I still stand by my statement that nearly every FedEx employee I've dealt with are all very cool and helpful, while my local UPS "customer counter" is a living nightmare.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like fedex from the sheer fact that neither them or ups will leave packages by my apartment, but with fedex i can drive out and pick it up that night, whereas with ups i have to drive around and find the ups truck, or else i have to wait for them to try delivering it 3 times before i can pick it up. that's weak.

oh, and the most impressive fedex feat is ordering tires off 4 tires ziptied together shipped 2 day for around 10 bucks?! can't top that!
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    from my experience fed ex express has been great, but fedex ground has been no better and sometimes worse than ups ground
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use carrier pigeon. If it should happen that the pigeon is not available I use one of those St. Bernards with the little keg around it's neck. Never failed me yet.

brad cook