Shipping to Canada - sales taxes - import fees - broker fees?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Blankandson, Aug 25, 2016.

1. I am working with someone to ship a bass to Saskatchawan, Canada. I cannot find info online on anything past shipping cost (about $40-$50 UPS). I'm seeing that Canadian citizens must pay sales tax and custom charges but I cannot find out how much of either. I'm going to guess that Bass Central ships bases to Canada. Or do you? Sale price on my bass is $900US.

2. 2ndBassGuitar

2ndBassGuitar Commercial User

Jan 17, 2008
    Qualicum Beach, BC
    Dealer for Phil Jones Bass, Lakland, Maruszczyk and Grosmann basses
    Canadians must pay 5% Goods and Sales Tax, plus the applicable provincial sales tax (Saskatchewan is an additional 5%). There is no duty on products made in the USA ( free trade agreement). Be careful who you ship with. The courier companies extort large brokerage fees out of the buyer - if you can, ship through UPSP - no brokerage fees.

TolerancEJ, Master Chief and murphy like this.
  3. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    USPS is the way to go or you'll most likely get nailed with a $75CAD or so brokerage fee....the bastards.

4. Indeed...

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    USPS all the way, once it crosses the border it's Canada Post usually who delivers. UPS and FEDEX wiill charge you a brokerage fee...their charge for doing the customs stuff...and it can really make you sick to see how high that can be. Especially on a high ticket item. On a 900$ US bass, you'll pay the GST/HST on the 1150CDN or so, and then USPS charges 5-10$ to process. UPS or Fedex can be well over 100$. SOME places have arrangements with UPS etc where you don't get that, but I can't say BassCentral would be one.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021