Shipping Upright overseas

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hc321, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hc321

Nov 6, 2005
    i may buy an upright bass,from a dealer in san francisco area,but would need to ship. the bass to Paris/France then,a friend of mine is in Frisco until late december and could help for paking,but i would have to find a shipping company that is used to carry items like these,also,need to find the lower cost possible as i may have to pay extra taxes here...
    if anyone dealt with the situation in the past,i'd be glad to hear his advice
  2. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Edgar Meyer usually buys a plane ticket for his bass, and sets it in the seat next to his. (The bass gets the window seat, in case you're wondering.) Of course, his upright bass is worth more than my house, but...
  3. shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    really its not a good idea to ship instruments. There's a million things that could go wrong. Plus, many times the shipping company ships in vaccums or in extgreme temperatures, both can crack a fine instrument wide open. When Flying, Make sure the instrument gets in the cabin. Truthfully though, I always ship mine ground in a humidity controlled temperature controlled truck with people that I litteraly know and trust. No amount of recompense could make up for having my cello disentegrate at the hands of a lazy porter, Its a personal attachment to me, and very fragile. If possible, take a road trip, it could save you thousands.
  4. good for you shipping your instruments in humidity controlled temperature controlled trucks...but you've just given no help on how to get an upright from Frisco to Paris...

Contact an Airline like Air France...they'll help you with your'll pay good money...but it will be well spent...

For the record...I once shipped a Carvin AC40 from Pittsburgh, PA to Melbourne, Australia via a freight forwarding company in its original case...taped tight with a couple of silica gel packs in arrived a couple of weeks later...unscathed

...and just so you know...this bass has a spruce top on it...
  5. shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    I most certainly have introduced new information, dont ship air without prior knowledge of where the bass is going to be stored. Make sure its in a regularlized pressure and controlled temperature. Some airlines dont bother to heat or pressurize stowage. My instructor shipped a couple of instruments down to florida on a trip because the truck we hired got full, when we got down there two had cracks and one had a broken scroll, though that was most likely just because it was packed in a softcase.
  6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Domestic passenger airliners are pressurised and heated throughout, including the hold. That said, it will get colder in the hold. The real problem is condensation. Put the bass in a proper padded hardcase with a few silica packs and it should be fine. Leave it unopened for a day when it arrives, so it warms up gradually.

Cargo planes may not be pressurised.