1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping USPS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just a comment. I've recently had a number of items shipped to me via USPS. Now they have tracking, but the only problem is, the items all got here before I could do any meaningful tracking. So far, every shipment has been fast and reliable, and definitely did not suck.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. By and large, I have had much better luck with USPS than with any other carrier. Sometimes I choose other carriers for convenience, or due to the size limitations of USPS, but generally the Post Office gets my business.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I sent an ARP 2600 and MultiMoog via USPS a few weeks ago. I sent them COD and had no problems whatsoever. I didn't compare rates, but what I was charged seemed reasonable.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    +1 on USPS and bonus for international shipping, at least for Greece. I had a cab sent to me through Fed Ex and the greek dept charged me WAY too much, even more that what I had paid already at the USA side! USPS uses the greek national postal service, so no hidden upcharges. But I've also experienced the problem with tracking, they are too slow at updating it.

5. I've had two expensive but insured shipments LOST with USPS. (knives, not basses) Collecting insurance from them is all but impossible and takes forever. I will NEVER ship anything over $100 value with them for this reason. For inexpensive items they are great and priority mail is fast for the money. For basses or other bigger dollar GAS items, I would highly recommend opening up an account with FEDEX, UPS or DHL. For me DHL works great for international shipping, UPS and FEDEX seem to be best for within the US.

6. I've had a few bad experiences with all the carriers, which I guess is normal. No one is 100%, but I have had the most bad experiences with DHL followed closely by USPS. For me the "Brown Truck" seems to be the most reliable

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pedals and small things usually go USPS for convenience. Basses and guitars are generally UPS for security. I've had nothing but good luck from them.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....I recently had a problem with DHL, the shipment was supposed to go to a town in Maryland and went to Massachusetts instead and after sitting for a couple of days went to Ohio before finally getting to Maryland. A five day shipment took two weeks, also their tracking system is not as complete or as accurate as Fedex or UPS.

George

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I use USPS for most things because it's cheaper, faster, and more convenient for me. It's cheaper for businesses to use Fedex, UPS, etc because those companies do corporate discounts whereas USPS does not.

A few years ago I had a summer job where we shipped thousands of packages at a time. We started out with Fedex and everything was dandy. Almost nothing got lost and customer service was pretty good. Half way through the summer we switched to UPS and all of a sudden packages were getting lost left and right, and on top of that CS was spotty. I regarded Fedex as a step above UPS, but within the last year or so Fedex seemed to have gone down the crapper. I get horrible customer service whenever I call. I'll ask the same question to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. Packages aren't held for me when they're supposed to be. UPS, on the other hand, seems to have gotten better.

10. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I now know the nightmare of a lost package,thanx to these jerks!
    The ONE time I decide to save a few bucks, and ship with them, they lose my package! (a bass worth at least $400!)
    Now I have to figure out how to compensate the recipient...And I am by no stretch a rich man!:bawl:

11. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I won't trust USPS anymore for more expensive shipments. I had my computer shipped from Michigan to So. Cali and it was damaged upon arrival. I could not afford insurance at the time so I was kinda S.O.L. The computer was packed tightly with a lot of insulation so they must have dropped it or been rough with it in someother way.

Because of a couple of years Shipping/Receiving I trust UPS first followed by FedEx and DHL.

12. Man! Now THAT's a bummer!;)

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Mungi, I work for USPS and even I don't understand the point of "tracking" when it comes to items other than Express and Registered mail.:confused: I feel your pain.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, my comment was meant as a compliment. The gear gets to me so fast, they don't even have time to get the tracking up. WRT to tracking, I just like to imagine stuff in a truck out in the middle of New Mexico, hauling buns on its way to me.

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ah well that's really good and we appreciate it, but the fact is that unless it's an Express or Registered, the only times it's scanned is when it's accepted and delivered. Personally, I'd like to be able to see where the stuff is, when it got there and when it left.

16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As a postal employee, I may be able to shed a bit of light on a few questions. First off, USPS tracking or delivery confirmation is a very basic way to see if a pkg. was scanned arrived at the destination and whether it was delivered. It was never meant to be a total tracking system, The USPS is in the process of updating the tracking scanners that will have similar tracking as UPS. This is a HUGE undertaking. The cost of the scanners alone is estimated to be about 30 million. Add in the cost and size of implementing a new system and it's still a long way off. As far as insurance, there have been some changes to the claim process and it now only takes a few weeks. Of course there are exceptions, but I had a $200 claim last yr, and it only took three weeks. The pkg arrived damaged and was not lost, so that may have helped. Now on the subject of damage, USPS does not have aircraft to speak of. What does that mean? That means that UPS and DHL move our freight. Thats right! UPS! I myself have used USPS, Fed X, UPS, and Airborne (DHL) I have had great luck with all of them. I have had bad luck with all of them. For the most part USPS is a bit cheaper. Would I ship a guitar with them? It depends on the destination. Surely UPS delivery trucks are better designed to carry larger parcels, but everyone has a bad UPS story. (as well as USPS etc) Face it, shipping anything fragile is a gamble no matter what carrier you use. There are good and bad employees in EVERY company. I take great pride in doing my best day in and out. I work with people who also do. But as we all know, we also work with people that clearly don't give a damn about what kind of job they do. Every company has them and unfortunately we are at their mercy when shipping our precious cargo.....:)

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have used USPS for ALL of my musical equipment shipping with excellent results. Cheaper and better than the others, imo.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    What he said.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats good to know because my custom Violin bass in in route with them right now ! :hyper: I hope to have it by Saturday :bassist:

20. For shipping to Canada from the USA, IMHO, USPS gets my vote as there are no hidden charges. Brokerage fees with UPS are simply outradgeous as well as Fedex. UPS at least will bill you these charges up front and if you had time, you may be able to clear the customs thing yourself but FEDEX bills you after the fact with a big bill in the mail when it is too late to do anything yourself. I have had damages with all three but I chalk it up to poor packing. DHL lost a shipment and just kept putting me on to other terminals on the phone. USPS broke the magnet off of a speaker but the 1965 Fender Pro Reverb BF was shipped upright instead of laying face down.
    UPS shipping across Canada (no borders to cross) is great as there are no hidden charges.