Shipping with neck off (and removing neck) issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Oct 12, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    due to USPS size restrictions I am considering asking the seller to ship my P bass with the neck off.. can you guys offer any suggestions as to the best way to safely remove the neck and ship it?

Should I get the truss rod loosened slightly as it will have no string tension on the neck to counteract the truss rod pull? (should a quarter turn anticlockwise be enough?).

Is it best to pull the neck out of the neck pocket away from the brigde while keeping it inline with the body (as in; if the guitar was standing upright the neck would come off straight up away from the body)?

would a good solid bubblewrapping and cardboard boxing be enough to protect the neck and body during transit or do you suggest more/other protection? The last thing I want it any fret or neck damage!

any other issues you guys can think of?

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    I just shipped a bass (w/o hardcase) last week with USPS, I wrapped it with bubblewrapping in a regular fender bass cardboard box (got it from a music shop) and it costed me ~$40 with insurance!
    What kinda issue you're having?

3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the bass was too long in its case (by 2") USPS would not budge...

I considered shipping the bass with neck attached, the problem is it would be quite a long package then and if it gets put in a container on and angle with nothing under to support it and ges something chucked on top.. CRACK.. I figure with the neck off it will be a much more solid package with a lot less chance of snapping... its going from NYC to Australia as well so it will be in transit for a while, better safe than sorry...
  4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

IMO, IME, yes and yes!

Big NO, NO! The neck has a "tappered" shape. It's larger at the end (closer to the bridge) and it gets narrower towards the nut.
    It has to come off straight up while the body is laying down flat (horizontally).
    If I make sense!

IMO,IME, yes!

Just my 2 cents!

But others may have some different advises/experiences!

5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    so is this the right way to pull the neck out? (this is my SR5 for example.. the actual bass is a 1980 fender P special)..
  6. That diagram is correct. AND, if you are taking the neck off and there will be no tension to counteract the truss rod, I'd turn the rod almost totally loose. Enough tension to keep the wood from going squirrelly, but not so much that it will cause excessive backbow and potential cracking.

Best of luck.

Bubblewrap and double boxxing and packing peanuts are your friend.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I dismantled and mailed a Dolphin Pro II to Iceland. It took forever to get there but it only cost me ~$35. I was able to fit the whole schmear, including the gig bag, and still stay within US postal guidelines.

The Icelandic postal authority then promptly seized it and only released it after I sent them a nasty-gram.

8. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd use FedEx; it usually costed me $15-20 to ship a bass without taking the neck off. You get a tracking number, and it arrives in 2-3 days.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I prefer FedEx because they don't leave multi-thousand dollar gear on my front step and wander off. UPS, on the other hand does do that.
  10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I generally prefer FedEx, like a coupla guys above me said. Not that UPS is exactly...BAD, I just trust FedEx a bit more.
  11. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    In my experience, stuff takes 7-10 days via courier from America -> Australia (including the customer's processing time). But using Fedex or UPS via private sellers is expensive - US$250 or so. Rondo music somehow managed to ship my SX basses for only about half that much - maybe's it's the corporate deal they have going on?
  12. Guys,

He's sending a bass from the states to send one FedEx, assembled will cost him $250 US

I'd take the neck off too...when you get to packages that size the total inches mean much more than the weight...

I still haven't made the arrangements to have my "baby girl" make the trip over, yet...I was gonna bring her back with me at christmas time, but now I'm not going there...I'm gonna have to get one of my friends to ship her. by the way "baby girl" is my first bass,,,a self-assembled P-bass copy.
  13. ha...I've had the same experience with my wishbass $250...made it to Port Hedland, WA from NC in 10 days...

great way to travel, but EXPENSIVE!
  14. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've had two basses sent via USPS airmail to Sydney this year and it's cost about $US80 each time, with the neck removed. Transit time was 3-7 business days or a bit quicker than the courier firms. No issues with either bass.
    UPS/Fedex is about $US250-300 depending on the size of the box and the speed of service, plus GST, plus duty plus clearance fees. Paid nothing but postage on either of the basses sent via USPS, and the declared values were correct (they were insured).
  15. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, a week ago I got home and my new Ashdown and Avatar cab were sitting outside in the snow. They'd been there for 5 hours. Never using UPS again.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey, I'm all for shipping neck-off.

I'm just never for shipping by UPS.
  17. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Missed that part; I guess you might want to ship without the neck!
  18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I shipped a guitar to Sweden with the neck off once, and everthing worked out fine. I used a box from an Aggie tube amp which provided plenty of foam and cardboard support internally for the body, then just cut recesses into the foam to lay the neck in. I fully recommend using a box from a tube amp so that you'll already have some protection there. Everything worked out wonderfully, and it cost less with USPS than shipping an assembled bass just a few states over through one of the other carriers.