Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 24, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

is $40 good to ship a bass by ups.

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    If it is coming in an aluminum "flight-case" and is being expedited maybe. Otherwise it sounds pretty high. Maybe they are putting 20K worth of insurance on it or something. Or maybe it is one of those newfangled all lead basses I've been reading so much about.....;)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends.

Is it???;

- ground shipping
    - express/not express-shipping
    - insured

....and, moreover, what's the distance???

All that aside, I think $40 sucks if you're not having it shipped more than about 1,000 miles. But some companies lower the price and make it up in shipping and handling.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <a href="http://wwwapps.ups.com/servlet/QCCServlet?iso_language=en&iso_country=US"><b>Click Here</b></a>.

Boxes that fit a bass & a case are about 52x17x7 & the on a box that bid, UPS Ground rounds the wieght to 30 LBS.

If the you or the person person shipping the bass is using MailBoxes Etc. or something like that, they usually add a handling fee.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Bass Nino mentioned, they round up the weight if the box is oversized. It is pretty easy to make the box big enough to force the 70 pound round up.

I used an ABG box to ship a bass a few months back, I took it to the hub and it still cost $54.

Use the smallest carton possible that still allows safe padding.

Chas

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I just had a new bass shipped to me from washington and i live in colorado (about 600-800 miles). I paid approximately $30 for shipping in a large padded box via fedex ground, on a $800 insured package.UPS breaks stuff crap (especially insured stuff, i know people that have worked there). avoid UPS if possible, the $40 is probably due to handling charges that lots of UPS clients and pickup centers tag on, at any rate its a rip-off for UPS ground.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Depends on if you're shipping it in a case or a gig bag. I just shipped one out - inside a gig bag sandwiched between two sheets of bubble wrap neatly packaged inside an "extended" guitar box, insured, for 12.57 USD. I guess the weight is a large factor.