1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shirley Horn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I didn't catch this till today, but she passed away on Thursday at the age of 71. I loved her style...

Story in the Houston Chronicle.

2. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Yes, lucky angels.

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    What?! That's terrible... I haven't seen that news anywhere, thanks for making me aware. How sad....

4. Oh man... wkcr in nyc is playing a tribute all day to her.... they played the stuff from the vanguard in 1960 or 61. just beautiful....almost had to pull over to the side of the road because i was so lost in it...

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Wow.

I saw her trio once do "You Won't Forget Me" at a Miles tribute show at Lincoln Center. Such beautiful music......

6. I never saw her live, but I loved listening to her, especially with her own trio. Such beauty and restraint. She could get more emotion out of a phrase with just three well-placed notes than all the Christina Aguilaras of the world can do with all their vocal acrobatics.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    So sad. a friend of mine referred to her as "slowly but Shirley".

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    RIP.

SLOWLY BUT SHIRLEY - gotta love it. Quarter note=the rest of the afternoon. She could really lay into the time in such a beautiful way.