Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shirley Horn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I didn't catch this till today, but she passed away on Thursday at the age of 71. I loved her style...

Story in the Houston Chronicle.

2. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
  3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    What?! That's terrible... I haven't seen that news anywhere, thanks for making me aware. How sad....

4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Oh man... wkcr in nyc is playing a tribute all day to her.... they played the stuff from the vanguard in 1960 or 61. just beautiful....almost had to pull over to the side of the road because i was so lost in it...

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Wow.

I saw her trio once do "You Won't Forget Me" at a Miles tribute show at Lincoln Center. Such beautiful music......

6. I never saw her live, but I loved listening to her, especially with her own trio. Such beauty and restraint. She could get more emotion out of a phrase with just three well-placed notes than all the Christina Aguilaras of the world can do with all their vocal acrobatics.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    So sad. a friend of mine referred to her as "slowly but Shirley".

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    RIP.

SLOWLY BUT SHIRLEY - gotta love it. Quarter note=the rest of the afternoon. She could really lay into the time in such a beautiful way.