Shirts: French cuffs or regular cuffs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So I have just had a whole bunch of shirts, both business and casual, made for me and I opted for French Cuffs on most of them. Never having had French cuffs except on tuxedo shirts, I thought it would be kinda cool and stylish to have them. Man are these things annoying! You have to spend extra time each morning trying to thread the cufflinks though and they get caught on everything! I think I will get used to them, and they definately do look better, but is the annoyance factor worth it?

So, do you prefer French or regular cuffs on your shirts?

(for those of you trying to eliminate all things French from your vocabulary (Freedom Fries anyone?? :D ) French cuffs are sometimes called "double cuffs").
  2. I'm gonna say Regular Cuffs. I've tried French Cuffs a couple times, and just don't really like the look of them. And yeah, getting cufflinks in is a bit more of a pain with French Cuffs.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a French cuff kind of guy (do you know how hard it is to get a black shirt with French cuffs?! Took me a year to find one under $300) I like having the cufflinks, and it actually brought my girlfriend's father and I much closer as we shared Cufflinks my last trip out to SF.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  5. french cuffs are damn cool. i've just acquired a few sets of cufflinks so i'm looking to buy a couple more french cuff shirts.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also like Fistis

brad cook
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I suppose this is an okay question, but I'd avoid asking about a regular collar vs a tab collar - you KNOW what happens when somebody fires up the tab vs standard debate!

8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    All my shirts have regular cuffs except my tuxedo shirt, which has French cuffs.

I should get some cufflinks. The last time I had to wear my tuxedo, I made some out of two silver buttons and embroidery thread.
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I have both, and if I want to look swank, I definitely pull out the french cuffs and vintage cufflinks.

10. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    a tall glass of steaming bruno
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Form, and function!
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    These are probably my most popular cufflinks.

I also have some Hopi Indian designs and a pair of Claddagh links to match my girlfriend's ring. And of course the classic knots.
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There's some cufflinks in that place that say "Trust Me" on one and "I'm a Lawyer" on the other....I so want them, but htey are like $50US!

They would be a hit at work!
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like french cuffs, but I do agree with the part about cufflinks being a pain.

I have a tuxedo shirt and two dress shirts with french cuffs. I plan on buying more of the dress shirts in the future, and a couple of more pairs of cufflinks.
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

i like french cuffs

where is the donkey ???