1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SHLABAMO

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wabbit, Apr 30, 2010.

1. SHLABAMO: A very useful acronym I came up with yesterday at work.

There's a customer of my company that we sell RFID readers to. What these are is not important to the story. This customer sent back a box full of these (maybe 75 of them) that had somehow failed in the field. I was asked to determine the problems with these units and repair if necessary. I pulled the first one out, ran a bunch of tests on the unit itself and there were no problems whatsoever. I checked continuity on the cable harnesses and again, no discernable problem. This was odd indeed. Why the hell did they send this to us? I filled out the paperwork and wrote down my findings. I moved on to the next one and the exact same thing happened, no discernable problems. This happened for about ten of these in a row so I thought there must be something wrong with what I was doing. I asked my boss about this. He chuckled a bit and informed me that they do this all the time but he accepts them because they pay for the repair cost/time if nothing is found wrong with the units. He has had many convos with the customer about this yet they still send them in. I went through the whole box and actually managed to find 2 units that failed. For the internal paperwork that I needed to fill out, I just started to write SHLABAMO in the "Problem Found" field. Now that I think of it, this acronym can be used for so many things and I'm sure every one of you has had a SHLABAMO moment.

Btw, SHLABAMO translates to

Shook Head, Laughed A Bit And Moved On

EDIT: Should clarify... this can be used for any situation that is just so incredulous, if you don't SHLABAMO, someone might get laughed at or punched/choked. Especially useful when dealing with bosses/daft people/situations

2. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    AKA: "the mystery bump"

you keep having a very specific problem with your car. you bring it to your mechanic. the car works fine, no funny noise or whatever. mechanic can't fix a problem they can't find. from the customer side, i see this pretty regularly with all sorts of technical equipment, be it music gear or computers etc. you buy something and you are sure something ain't rite.

i am going thru it rite now with the POS software my store uses. its pretty buggy, but tech support can't cure a problem they can't reproduce....

3. My first thought was REMEMBER THE SHLABAMO

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I thought that was the word that describes the situation when suddenly you find yourself naked with a sexy asian chick and you're getting down to business and you have no idea how you got there.

5. Another SHLABAMO actually just happened to me. There's a dude at work in the production area that sometimes has his gf come in and help us out as we are a small company. I was just outside having a smoke and she came out for the same. Now this girl is really not the sharpest tool in the shed and I barely know her. She starts up a convo with me and it basically starts off with, "So I have this yeast infection and it's itchy as hell ..... ". I won't go into the rest of the story but after she was done with her WAY TMI story, she went back inside. I picked my jaw up off the ground, did the SHLABAMO and here I am. lol

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    No no.

That's DJFCT.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    nifty... really long to be used all the time, but nifty nonetheless

8. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    That experience is much too magical to be dirtied up by a coin-term acronym.

9. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Okay... I'll bite....

:confused:

10. Of course you're right about the length. I find most things in life can be reduced down to a TLA (Three Letter Acronym) but I felt this one needed all three parts of the action to be specified and for it also to be pronounceable. ;)

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Dream's just ****ing came true. :D

12. I was guessing Dude, Just F*** The C..?
    And I think being 3 syllables, SHLABAMO could catch on. I intend to use it next time it's appropo.

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    :ninja:

14. Yeah, it didn't quite work, like so many things in my life... :rolleyes:

15. SHLABAMO!

Just trying it out- nice. I like it.

Edit: Oops- removed extra syllable...

16. lol .. that's exactly what I thought it meant too :D

There's already several people at my work now using the term and my gf says there's a couple of people at her office now using it as well. Too funny. :p

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its fitting, I have many moments where I have to just Shake Head, Laugh a Bit, and Move on. I always referred to those as 'Smile & Nod' moments. or SAN or S&N for your acronym enthusiasts.

18. Did you tell her boyfriend?:D

19. I thought about the already popular Smile and Nod but that's usually done when the person's in front of you. The SHLABAMO is for after they've left and you realize that what you can't believe just happened, actually did. For those incredulous moments that happen daily concerning other people's, and sometimes your own, stupidity.

"Damn! Did I actually just say that incredibly lame thing to that hot girl? SHLABAMO!"

I guess in this context, it's more 'Shake Head' as opposed to 'Shook'.

20. Yes I did in fact and you'll never guess what he said. He asked me if I had a SHLABAMO moment because he was having one as well. LMAO!!