1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shld i cash in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by behling, May 13, 2006.

1. behling

behling

Mar 12, 2006
    As a first bass would it be wise to spend all that $$ on a American Deluxe Precision Bass fender or go slow with a yamaha bb 614 or a ibanez SRX700 since the price difference between the fender and yamaha, ibanez is about SGD$2000

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I'd pick up the Yamaha BB414/614.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd take a Fender over those any day. Buy the best instrument you can afford.

4. Consider getting a Standard, or a Highway 1 Fender. The Highway 1 is about half the price of the Am Dlx model, and that's an awful lot of cash to spend on your first bass.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the SRX700 very much.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy the Yamaha,

Then spend the extra cash to buy some vowels for the title of this thread.

Or maybe we should start calling the Yamaha a Ymh.

7. Wow, I'd consider myself very lucky to be able to start with any of them! My second bass was an Ibanez SRX500, which was, still is, very nice. Doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon, even with my Sterling in the fold now.

I played a Yamaha BB614 the other day, also a very nice bass. Something to think of is the neck profiles, the SRX will be very slim, the Precision fatter and the BB somewhere in between methinks, try them all out and see what you prefer.

8. behling

behling

Mar 12, 2006
    i would too, however the price difference is about $2000 dollars tat means the fender is $3000 and the yamaha/ibanez is just over a 1000, 1 fender = 3 yamaha, money is not the issue, the issue is, is it worth it for a first bass

9. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I would take the Ibanez, love the sound, and the price is not that bad.

10. It really depends on what you are comfortable spending.

If you can afford the better bass than I would suggest that. A nice bass will inspire you to play or practice more, IMO.

I say do a little more research. There are pleanty of other basses out there in-between (prise wise) the two you selected.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That depends, if you are getting a bass to see if you will like playing, get an SX, if you are committed, get the best instrument you can afford.

12. behling

behling

Mar 12, 2006
    i know i will keep playing as i've been playing all the best lines on my guitar instead of actually playing the guitar.

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    How about grabbing two Yamahas. One fretted and one fretless :)

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1. Because eventually, you will want a better bass and will want to sell your cheap bass. It's going to cost you more money in the long run.

15. If your dad is Bill Gates and money r-e-a-l-l-y isn't an issue, then get the Fender, you won't regret it.

But if you could do well to save a little bit of cash, either the Yamaha or Ibanez are still very decent basses for the money. Save the extra cash for a rig later or some effects pedals.

16. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    when did an AM. Fender start selling for $3000? last I checked they were around $1000 brand new? and $1000 for any of the others listed? am I missing something here?

17. as a fist bass, i think something with more bit more sound options is the way to go. You never know off the bat is a P is the "bass for you".

Im a strong beliver in the PJ set up, can give you the thump of a P, and a bit more of a cutting sound with the bridge mounted J p/u.

my vote is for the yammy BB, or a Fender Percision Special.

18. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I know first hand about issues of american basses overseas. Fender is good. I have one P Deluxe myself. Bought it from USA though. For "actual" price.

Honestly I'd recommend another option. Get a yamaha TRB 4IIP They are very likely to be nearer to their "actual" price in singapore. At least much more than fender. And it is a very good bass.

Don't buy the Fender.

19. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Wait it out, get an Ibanex ATK300 or the American version. Find them on ebay or Harmony Central or other bass classified ad sites. They are very good quality, sound tremendous and will last a lifetime. They will be versatile enough to stick with how you may change over your years of experience...great basses.

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm an Ibanez guy...so Ibanez!