Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shock mounted Racks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Oct 27, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Is a shock mounted rack worth the money compared to its non shocked counter parts? Is the added protection really necessary when im just lifting my head from the van to my cab. Granted it would get a bit of a jostling in the van when being loaded unloaded and driven. Will non shock mounted racks offer the adequate protection if my amp fell off an 8x10?

2. I've seen stuff wrecked in a shock mounted rack in a 4 foot fall. If you're touring a lot, I think you could justify the expense and added weight.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Well I wouldnt say touring exactly. But I usually play once twice or sometimes three times a week around the country. As well as practice can mean alot of unloading and loading. Right now I carry it around in the box it came in and I think the polystyrene casing offers loads of protection...better than if it was mounted in a standard rack unfortunately its akward to lift and cardboard wont last forever.. I suppose the real question wats the best way to protect your head from knocks.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're the only one touching your gear, a regular rack should do. If you have roadies, get a shockmount.

5. Sounds like a regular rack will suit you fine. That box will disintegrate.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    bump!

Ok just an after thought saw the price of shock mounts...looks like I wont be going down that road. So anyways I was looking at some rack cases made from plastic and I would think because plastic is alot more flexible than wood or aluminium that if it suffered an impact it would protect my head more by absorbing shock better due to its flexibility. As opposed to just transfering it via the harder materials like aluminium or wood to the head. What do you think?

Or am I just trying to find a poor excuse to cheap out on buying a decent rack?.....then again anythings better than a cardboard box! :scowl: