Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SHOCK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    So today I stopped by my local Guitar Center and played a bunch of stuff: Warwick, Musicman, etc. But the thing that REALLY blew me a way was the Marcus Miller jazz bass. I picked it up unplugged and the neck felt PERFECT, fit my hands perfectly and played awesome. Then I plugged it in, expecting a standard boring Jazz bass tone, but I was surprised. It was crisp, clear,and still had the bottom I love. I am seriously considering getting this axe, however I really want my next bass to be a 5 string. So I was just wondering.

Does the Marcus Miller 5 string sig. share the comfort, tone, and playability of the Marcus 4? Also, on the 4 string I was able to slap and double thump quite comfortably, something which I can't do comfortably on many 5 strings, so would I be able to on the MM 5?

Thanks a Lot

2. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    anyone?

3. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've personally never played a Marcus Miller 5, but I remember that, long ago, I played a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 in a shop. I remember that bass as being the only 5 that felt any sort of good to me for years and years, until I happened to run across the Pedulla Rapture I've been playing for the past three years. Before that, though, that one Jazz Deluxe 5 was the only one I played that had enough space between the strings at the nut and at the bridge for me to play comfortably... and I'm a compulsive slapper.

If the Marcus Miller model is similar to that one, then it's probably amazing. But you should probably try and find one to try out first.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Expected a standard boring jazz tone? Out of an ash body, with a maple/maple neck and bright electronics? :eyebrow:
    Ever heard Marcus Miller play? :eyebrow:
    :p

Back on topic.
    AFAIK, the 5 has narrow spacing, around 16,5-17mm.
    I'm not sure, I haven't even played them, but when MM was playing here, he had both of them onstage, right next to each other, and the 5's neck looked barely any wider, and the strings looked much closer.
    however, that's just what I saw, so you can never know.

5. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Haha well, I didn't realize at the time. But anyway, I suppose I could adapt my slapping when playing of five string but I would definately like to play the MM 5 before I committ to anything.

6. I've played the MM5, and my recollection is that it had wide (3/4") spacing, just like the Precision Deluxe.

Mike