shocking ebay story.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought a delta pro 15" speaker on ebay a week ago. Paid right away, and the seller got it to me fast. got it on wednesday.

As soon as I installed it in my cab, the think started farting and distorting like it had a 4 inch rip in the cone, but I couldn't find anything. It would also cut on and off where no sound would come out at all. I wrote the seller and told him I was not happy, and I blamed the problem on poor shipping, the box it was in was too big for it, and it bounced around the inside of the box all the way here. The item was used, and the ad specifically said "AS IS", so I figured my $81 was gone. Even if he offered a refund of the seling price ($51) after paying shipping both way I would still have just $30 back in my pocket.

The next morning, what do I find in my inbox but a $100 refund from paypal. The seller not only gave me back my original $81, but gave me an extra $19 to cover returen shipping. I was totally blown away, this was the last thing I was expecting. I didn't even ask for a refund because I assumed he would fall back on the famous words of "as is"

turns out the cutting out problem was caused by a bad solder joint on the positive terminal, and after I moved it a little it seemed to work fine, even the farting noise went away. I went ahead and sent the speaker back because I wasn't sure that the noise was related to the bad sloder joint, I didn't know if it would come back in the future.

Have you ever heard of a seller so quick to give a refund, and be willing to pay shipping both ways?

also, has anybody seen a speaker sound completly shredded, but then be fine an hour later?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like the rare seller who understands the importance of a good feedback rating. Better to keep you happy than have you pissed. Unfortunately I'd bet 99.99999999999996% of sellers don't get that.
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here's an update, he left positive feedback for me today, after I TOLD him I put the speaker in the mail. I really did ship it, but I'm shocked he left feedback before he actually got it.

4. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yes, I had a similar positive experience with a seller recently. I'd won a Peavey Mark VI amp head on eBay and received it only to find the power cord was cut in half about 2/3 of the way from the plug. This was after I'd asked if the unit worked and was told that it had been recently tested and worked fine. Long story short, the seller offered to have me return the amp or he'd refund a reasonable amount to cover the repair if I wanted to keep it. I opted to take a $40 refund (on a $100 sale price) and fixed the cord myself.
  5. Hell must be freezing over right now.
  6. I wish I could meet this man and shake his hand.
  7. Yea, agreed. Someone needs to check the temperature of hell.
  8. +1

Wow, quite a story!
  9. This proves that there are some good people left. And that not all ebay people love to rip you off. haha.
  10. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think it also proves that at least some big eBay sellers take their feedback rating very seriously (as they should).
  11. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    it's quite amazing to see that kind of sellers around ebay..

i've been shopping on ebay for 3 years now.. and i actually had couple of times where the seller was an angel.

they were so nice, it almost made me feel bad.

i, too, am a seller at ebay..
    not only ebay but on many other internet forum.

my rule?
    be honest

12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

jk :)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For Goodness sake don't tell Bruce:D
  14. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Never had this happen before - then again, never had any problems with Ebay.

Lookin on ebay for a new bass as we speak...
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I'm the same way. Tell me there's a problem, and I'll do what I can to make it right. You ain't happy? I'm not happy either. As a seller, I try to do what I can.

Don't know if I'd refund all that without some more conversation, but the guy really wanted to make things right I guess. Kudos to him!
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nothing better than someone who can turn a problem transaction into one where everyone ends up happy.

I've had a few of these on Ebay, and actually have never had a bad ebay experience as a seller or as a buyer. Everytime I sell or buy, I wait for the 'other shoe to drop'...and it never happens. If you treat others with respect and act like a 'real person' and are careful about your deals, you can do alright.