Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shocking NEWS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 17, 2003.

1. I've just learned that eating a lot of carrots results in your skin turning orange!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Given the huge popularity of carrots on these boards, just how many of you TBers rock the left side of the spectrum?

2. When I was a kid (2-3yrs) I almost only ate mashed carrots. I was yellow, and the doctors were scared. I still tan nicely :)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It isn't only carrots that can cause the "turning red" condition. When we lived in the Philippines, my husband was very fond of papaya and mango. Once he went to the doctor about another matter, but the doctor became alarmed at the redness of my husband's palms. He told him to immediately stop eating the papaya and mangos, plus to avoid carrots and taking vitamin A.

It seems that food high in vitamin A can cause that reddening and I forget what the harm is...I think it is to the liver. For curiosity I will look it up.

I do know of one other person who became ill. He had bought one of those fruit juice machines and was gulping carrot juice. It caught up with him in just a few weeks when his color did begin to take on an orangey glow. He thought it was yellow jaundice, but his doctor said it was from all that carrot juice and to stop drinking it at once.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Carrots have Beta-Carotens (excuse my english??)

Beta-Carotens are Natural Colorants

These colorants travel thru blood vessels

if you have high levels of this colorant then it goes from your blood to the skin and give it the color (yellow-orange-red)

to my knowledge, this is not dangerous for your health (but who wants to look orangeish??), just stop eating or drinking carrots (and other similar vegetables-fruits) and the color will go away...

not like the yellowish color of ICTERICIA which comes from the unbalance of the conjugation of Bilirrubine and this means either your liver or some other blood factor is in bad shape...

-:cool:-

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's a few interesting facts I gleaned from Google.com.

Viatmin A is an antioxident called beta-carotene. Too much of the nutrient can cause the hands and face to turn yellow or orange. One can recover very quickly by stopping the intake, but excessive doses over a long period of time can cause skin color changes, liver and spleen enlargement, bone fragility, hair loss, and stomach pain.

Beta-carotene is found in pumpkin, carrots, oranges and other yellow fruit and vegetables. A daily intake of 50,000 IU can be toxic in an adult and even less intake is recommended for infants and children.

Recently in England an infant turned yellow from drinking 1.5 liters daily of Proctor and Gambol's Sunny Delight. P&G states that that much Sunny Delight is entirely too much for an infant. The baby recovered when the beverage was stopped.

Guess this proves the old addage, "Moderation in all things."

7. 1.5 Liters???????

Holy Crapola in a Hatola! That's a lot for a little baby. Yeesh.

But yes, it is true, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    random bump