Shockmount Rack or Not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Louse, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Louse

Aug 15, 2005
    I am looking at buying a new flight rack for my gear. I am running an Ampeg SVT-4Pro/Korg tuner/Shure wireless/Furman Power conditioner.

Are the shockmount racks really worth the extra money? I see there are some that actually have a "shock" system while some others are just encased in foam. What's up with that? I could save a bundle with a standard rack, but want to protect my gear the best I can.

Anyone with some experience?

2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when i had my solid state/tube pre amp ampeg svt 3 pro, i had a non shock mount case.

now that i have a tube amp, i have a shock case.

IMHO if it doesnt have power tubes, just get the non shock. its cheaper, lighter, easier to carry.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you move it yourself, you don't need shock mounts. If someone moves it for DO.
  4. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1 to Bikertrash! I won't even let my bandmates touch my gear anymore (found cables wadded instead of rolled WAY too many times). I'm always amazed at how poorly other folks will handle your equipment! Heck, with my band, I'm amazed at how poorly they handle THEIR OWN equipment! Yeah, I know Shure and Peavey are "bulletproof", but there's no need to prove the theory every time you gig.......
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice way to put it.

I personally still have a Roto 6-space and I'm waiting for it to fall apart so I can get a rolling shock case.

One place that makes solid ones is right here in ATL:

BTW, I have no affilliation with GA Case Co....
  6. Louse

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks folks. This site is just incredible! I do move my own gear. However, our transportation is an old school bus and it is a VERY rough ride. I think I am going to go with shockmount for that reason alone.

Can anyone tell me if the foam sandwiched ones you see on e-bay are any good?
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Definitely worth it.

I put mine up on blocks in our computer room, and it makes a great end table. A bit heavier than the rest of my furniture though.
  8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've had excellent luck buying road cases on ebay.

Angstrom cases out of Canada is a stand-out on price Vs. quality.