1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shoes for flat-footed people like me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Jan 27, 2012.

1. I have flat feet and a job that keeps me on them all day. They frickin' hurt. I'd like to invest in some shoes that have really good arch support but don't look goofy. Boots are welcome, but I'd prefer something in black. Any suggestions for supportive shoes that look good to?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Could you possibly find some insoles for your shoes so that you can wear any kind you like?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Sorry-straw that broke the Grammar and Spelling Nazi's back.

I second insoles. There's a commercially available insole for just about every problem you might have so you'll probably find something suitable before long.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You could be gellin'!

5. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Ao6VWXfRY4tFzCl85nOg7UtKKkrtTHdF6naSjLDdebPxHKlf6L3TNwaOQA.

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    you got a problem with my funny shoes?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC0v5tXv5NN1Q0imB9nQ8OkGZQDahGAa3-rtm2mt5TuYxm45eM.

7. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You could look into Powerstep Orthotics. You might be able to find it at a local running store. I found these to be much better than the typical Dr. Scholls stuff you find at a pharmacy.

Then again, I walk around a bit but not stand all day, so ymmv.

8. I would say boots! All i wear are Frye, comfy, good looking and good arch!

Once you have a pair of old boots that fit you like a second skin you wont want to wear anything else!

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I wear custom orthotic insoles in every pair of shoes I own. Luckily they are mostly covered under my medical package at work. The only requirement then is that you get shoes with insoles that aren't glued in, which gives you lots of good options.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Another vote for orthotics. A complete life-, foot-, and back-saver.

11. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    And ankles, knees, and hips, too.

My doctor said I have the flattest feet he's ever seen, and my entire body was getting twisted out of whack because of it. Your arches collapse, which twists your ankles inwards. This pulls on your knees and affects your hips, and then your back stresses in weird ways to make up for it. I had constant low back and knee pain, and 90% of that went away when I started wearing orthotics.

If I go a day walking around in my slip-on Vans or Converse or something, my knees and back are screaming at me by the end of the night, and all I want to do is lay down. I can't even make it standing through a whole concert in flat arched shoes.

Sounds like I'm 60 :p.

12. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I discovered these insoles
    Happy Feet Insoles

They don't give arch support, but they're filled with glycerin and massage your foot all day. They conform to your foot. Saved my back. (not affiliated with the company; usual disclaimer)

Worked for me, but they say to launder them every week.
    Do this, or after wearing them for 3 or 4 weeks straight (without laundering) they burst and shoot about 1 tablespoon of glycerin into your shoe. If you launder them, they're fine. voice of experience...

13. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Birkenstocks. Clarks. The Walking Company. My feet are so flat I couldn't join the Military. I'm looking into custom shoes.

14. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    I have flat feet and bunions as well. Lands end mocassins are great. They are suede and come in black and other colors. For the more expensive side, i have suede Mephisto chukkas..great support.

15. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    For flat feet, I think arch support is the most important thing one should be looking at.

16. Another +1 1for insoles.

Got some custom orthotics here, certainly helped me a fair bit!

17. Homepage | Dr Scholl's® Custom Fit® Orthotics

These have served me well. I actually like walking again and have always had flat feet.

I bought a new pair of walking shoes (1 size larger and 1 size wider than my normal) to put them in.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have to wear orthotics. But my insurance wouldn't spring for the $400 ones. So I had to spring for the $100 ones. I'd tried the $50 WalMart Dr Scholls ones. They are still in one pair of boots I wear when it's cold.

At work I wear running/walking shoes and have the orthotics in them. Their effectiveness varies from day to day. Now here's where it gets REALLY weird. Last summer I got what was basically a pair of river shoes to wear at the folk music festival that I hang out at. Do an image search for 'KEEN NEwport Sandals' and you'll see something very like the ones I got, at about four or five times the price I paid. Mine were the cheap WalMart knockoff version.They had a flat sole. No support whatsoever. When I wear flat shoes I usually hurt after a few hours. When I wore those...I was fine. No pain. And I still don't know why. I went back and got two more pair to wear when the first ones died.

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm very fond of Skechers shoes. Got 3 pairs in differant styles and for my feet nothing feels better.

Just a suggestion.

20. Ask Ji-seong Park. :)

Besides choosing a matching shoes for your condition,

you might want to try out some workouts(like Yoga) to strengthen your feet.

I have a light condition of flat foot and it had bothered me for the last 30 years,

but ever since I started learning Yoga(what I do is Astanga Yoga, specifically)

I can feel my feet and legs are strengthening up and I feel much better.

I can move more freely and walk with more fun.

(I always liked walking, but this condition bothered me from walking for a long time)

I believe you can too help your body to heal itself a little!! :)