1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shoes That Actually Last

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Sep 25, 2013.

1. I'm growing weary of all my shoes falling apart within a year or so. What are some brands or even specific shoes that you know last? We're all bassists here so I'm sure we have an incredible sense of style ;) but what I mainly wear are some of the old school looking kicks- mainly adidas. Translation = mostly black and white sneakers with designs from the 70's and 80's. I also wear my new balance running shoes sometimes (those seem to be lasting). So any sturdy blister-preventers that fit the style?

2. Buy new shoes. Or you can go with something more durable like a boot. Red Wings will last forever.

lowsound

3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Born. The walking company. Birkenstocks.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    All sneakers eventually wear beyond repair.

5. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Red wings for boots or work type shoes. Merrells are some if the most comfortable walking/hiking/multipurpose shoes I've ever worn. I have three or four pairs for jeans/khakis etc.

6. Yes, true but mine always reach unwearable in a year. (Probably becuase they're cheaply made in Asia) And that's after repairing tears, rips, separations etc.

7. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I love Red Wing. I get about a year out of a set of their boots (3506)- which is impressive given the torture I put the through. I do demolition, utilities, excavation, and mechanic work, plus working backstage at a lot of shows, means I wear them about 300 days of the year for an average of about twelve hours a day. Which is awesome. And they are totally shot at then end. So in reality, they should probably last about eight months. But that's really impressive, considering that they are often stuck walking on what are essentially broken bits of buildings, gravel and other abrasives.

I've just got a pair of 83618 Irish Setter boots I wear mainly around the shop, and man are they comfortable for a steel toed work boot. Thy're also available in a non steel toe, the 83617.

So yeah, they last, and they're comfortable.

8. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm lucky to get 6 months from mine. I've heard good things about Kent Wang sneakers, but they're ~$100.

9. I'd like to only spend around $70 at most but could go up to $100 if they're really nice

10. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Yup, then Red Wing/Irish setter are not for you. My 3506 were at $205, and the 83618 were $120...

11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I've worn out all running shoes' soles within a year regardless of brand. I'm an overpronator and some areas get worn out to the midsole while other areas of the sole still have the original surface. But of them, the uppers that lasted longer were Asics, Adidas, Nike and New Balance.
    For old school shoes, I would recommend Adidas Sambas. I've tried other indoor soccer shoes where the soles or uppers wear out faster. The laces on Sambas will wear out before the shoe.

12. Can{t beleive noone has said this yet.

Converse Chuck Taylor Allstar High.

I wear out every other shoe, but have never had to get rid of converse because of wear. Always grew out of them.
    I usually destroy the heel of shoes and wear it to the inner sole, never happened with converse.

For added quality, get the leather ones, really nice!

13. I have only squeezed 6 months tops out of mine. I like saucony jazz and asics onitsuka tiger 81. These are my two favorite sneakers, but they just don't last. I am thinking of trying nike, but I don't like nike. Never have.

14. Man, I envy you. I can't get past the three month mark with chucks.

I used to rock skate shoes, but I haven't skateboarded in years. So, I felt like a bit of a poser wearing them. I like shoes so I'm interested in what gets recommended here.

Adidas make my foot look small in proportion to my leg. Same with MacBeth.

15. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    If you are getting a year out of a pair of sneakers, then that is phenomenal. They should only last about 400 miles, which for a runner is a month, for a walker is about three months, and for the average American it's about six months. The only sneaker I've seen that will last longer is the Altra brand, and that is because it is a minimalist shoe with a harder sole, and no insole. I doubt you'll do better with any other brand of sneaker.

Doc Martens, Red Wings, Birkenstocks, and Irish Setters (division of Red Wing) will all last a good long while (more than a year, typically - in fact, I have a pair of Birkenstocks that I've had for six years, and have only resoled once), but not most sneakers. They are made of a much softer rubber (to cushion your steps and provide traction), which breaks down very quickly, so they can't correctly support your foot after a few miles.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Move over to a multi purpose shoe like a Merrill Moab. They come in low and mid high. Light as a feather. And they last! Keen hikers will last you forever too. And NOBODY wears white sneakers any more! I can spot a 50-65 year old musician a mile away from those dang white sneakers and dark blue jeans! (The black jeans and white sneakers are even worse!)
    Even if I can't talk any fashion sense into you I don't know of any sneaker that will take daily wear for over a year.

17. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I've always had good luck with K-swiss, but IDK if they have the styles you seek. I had a pair in HS that lasted three years. I would assume, though, like most everything else they don't make 'em like they used to. I'm rocking a pair of Airwalks right now that show very little wear after three months-- usually when I start to notice fatigue--but I've also picked up a second job and spend most of my time in my work boots, so the gymmers don't see the kind of use I normally give them. I also stopped going to Wal-Mart and started getting my kicks at shoe stores and department stores.

18. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    All Merrells I have seen look awful in a casual setting. I plan on getting the straight white Kent Wangs and rocking them with my raw denim.

19. I have had my Red Wing's for going on five years, two years of that was 12+ hours a day, 5 days a week. They are in great shape except for the toes, which I had recapped around a year ago. I make sure to oil them every few months and keep them clean. I love my Red Wing's, and I would buy another pair in a second. They are expensive, but worth it. Buy once, cry once.

lowsound

20. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    And I'm 20.